[News] Big Boost for OpenDocument Format in Brazil

ODF is now a Brazilian Standard: NBR ISO/IEC 26300 !!!

,----[ Quote ]
| On the afternoon of last Tuesday (08/04), the final translated version of the
| ISO/IEC 26300 was approved by members of the ABNT’s committee responsible for
| that activity.
|
| According to the Brazilian laws, a National Standard needs to be written on
| our native language (Brazilian Portuguese) and this is why we need to
| translate and approve the translated text of any International Standard that
| is adopted as a Brazilian Standard (called here NBR). ABNT is the Brazilian
| National Body (NB) and handles all standardization efforts in Brazil.
`----

http://homembit.com/2008/04/odf-is-now-a-brazilian-standard-nbr-isoiec-26300.html

Recent:

OOXML: Brazil Says NO. Again.

,----[ Quote ]
| It is now official. Brazilian vote was decided by consensus of the entire
| technical team, including Microsoft crew’s: OOXML does not deserve to be an
| international ISO standard.
`----

http://avi.alkalay.net/2008/03/ooxml-brazil-says-no-again.html

More OOXML BRM Messiness: A Delegate from Brazil Challenges "Law of Silence"

,----[ Quote ]
| More issues now have surfaced regarding some tactics being used to get OOXML
| approved as a standard. This time it's from a delegate from Brazil, who is
| challenging the "Law of Silence," the expression he coined in an earlier blog
| post for the restrictions on revealing details of the BRM meeting. He alleges
| that he believes Microsoft has itself violated it. It relates to Microsoft's
| claim that 98% of issues were resolved at the meeting, which he says is
| inaccurate, but his question relates to why Microsoft can talk about the BRM
| and no one else can. He thought that number was handled at the BRM, when a
| slide with that figure on it was shown, challenged, and he thought handled;
| yet he hears from a colleague in Chile that the same slide just showed up
| there, with the same figure, and with Dr. Sam Gyun Oh's name on the slide,
| the Chairman of SC 34, in a "presentation made by Microsoft to demonstrate
| how everything was resolved in OpenXML".

The brazilian Election Supreme Court migrates 430 thousand voting machines to
GNU / Linux

,----[ Quote ]
| The brazilian Election Supreme Court announced at April 4th 2008, that the
| 2008 elections at Brazil will use GNU / Linux electronic voting machines with
| software digital authentication.
|
| The Tribunal Superior Eleitoral (the brazilian Election Supreme Court),
| officially announced on April 4th, 2008, that the brazilian 2008 elections
| will use 430 thousand electronic voting machines migrated from VirtuOS and
| Windows CE to GNU / Linux and open source softwares for security and auditing
| defined by proper law.
`----

http://techforce.com.br/index.php/news/linux_blog/tse_migrates_to_linux

Linux Voting Machines Save US$ 8 Millions in Brazil

,----[ Quote ]
| Brazilian Goverment will save US$ 8 Millions in election between 2008 and
| 2018. The economy is due to the use of Linux in the eletronic voting
| machines, made by Procomp-Diebold,
`----

http://www.brnews.info/index.php/2008/04/06/linux-voting-machines-save-us-8-milions-in-brazil/

Brazilian Enterprises Embrace Open Source

,----[ Quote ]
| Linux and related open-source software has gained an increasingly important
| role among large local corporations in Brazil, according to a recent study.
|
| The Instituto Sem Fronteiras, a Brazilan research firm, found that 73 percent
| of companies with more than a thousand employees are open source users.
`----

http://www.crn.com/software/206904491

South America warms to Open Source

,----[ Quote ]
| In South American countries, as in most other areas of the world, the
| government is by far the biggest purchaser of software. Thus the Open Source
| trend that is now established in the government sector across the continent
| will doubtless spur Open Source adoption in the private sector.
|
| There are a variety of motives for Open Source adoption in play in there,
| from the reduction in software costs to the desire to provide a "leg-up" to
| the local software industry. However, the motivation of the Peruvian
| government is unique in that the Peruvian supporters of the bill see "Open
| Source" as a citizen's right. The ownership and responsibility for the use of
| data and software have become a political issue in Peru.
|
| This is an idea that is unlikely to go away.
`----

http://argentinadiscovery.page.tl/South-America-warms-to-Open-Source.htm

Related:

Ministry of Education from Brazil is buying 3000 Debian GNU Linux computers

,----[ Quote ]
| The Ministry of Education from Brazil is buying more 3000 Debian GNU / Linux
| computers , with four multimedia terminals and compatible printers for
| installing at 3000 rural schools, with 36 months contractual support. This
| next bidding adds up to the previous 90000 Debian GNU / Linux computers,
| network and printers.
`----

http://times.debian.net/1199

Ministry of Education from Brazil is buying 90,000 Debian GNU Linux computers

,----[ Quote ]
| All computers will be installed at 9000 brazilian schools.
`----

http://www.techforce.com.br/index.php/news/linux_blog/mec_buying_90000_debian_computers

EnabledPeople & partners deploys 50,000 Linux desktops in Brazil January 6

,----[ Quote ]
`----

http://www.enabledpeople.com/blog/2007/01/06/bitway-imtech-enabledpeople-had-deployed-about-50000-linux-desktops-in-brazil-since-september-2006/
http://tinyurl.com/yfy37p