[News] Why GNU/Linux Will Conquer the Desktop, Eventually

Debunking Myths That Say Linux Won’t Reach the Desktop

,----[ Quote ]
| Myth 1: Windows Vista showed us that six different versions of one operating
| system is bound to confuse users. The hundreds of Linux distros out there
| will only confuse users further.
|
| Response 1: Users will only be confused if they have to make the distro
| choice on their own. If users can get help to narrow down the choices to one
| distro, they won’t feel confusion and frustration due to the massive amount
| of distros.
|
| Myth 2: It doesn’t matter if Linux is better, because users will not like
| Linux because Linux is different.
|
| Response 2: Linux will never be Windows, but user interfaces of Linux
| applications can be made with former Windows users in mind. Clever theming
| can modify existing application user interfaces to feel more like Windows.
|
| Efforts to make Linux more friendly for former Windows users have already
| started. There is already an entire Linux desktop environment designed to
| look like Windows.
`----

http://codingexperiments.com/archives/301

Many more myths (Munchkin punch lines) in this post.

Recent:

Canonical To VARs: 11% of U.S. Businesses Use Ubuntu Linux

,----[ Quote ]
| In an effort to rally solutions providers around Ubuntu Linux, Canonical is
| telling resellers that 11 percent of U.S. businesses already run Ubuntu.
`----

http://www.thevarguy.com/2008/08/10/canonical-to-vars-11-of-us-businesses-use-ubuntu-linux/

Linux’s Market Share: Is There Any Way To Know?

,----[ Quote ]
| Canonical is claiming that 11% of businesses use Ubuntu. (If that is the
| case, just imagine how many use Red Hat or Suse.) Gartner says that Linux’s
| market share is 4%, putting it about even with the Mac. And Context says that
| almost 3% of PCs sold in the UK have Linux pre-installed.
|
| [...]
|
| Short of every Linux distro calling home, which I hope will never happen,
| there may never be a way to know how many Linux users there are. Perhaps the
| downloads of some cross-platform application would give a rough idea, but
| that application would have to be something that a Linux user, a Mac user,
| and a Windows user would want equally. If anyone has a better idea, I would
| love to hear it.
`----

http://www.linuxloop.com/news/2008/08/14/linuxs-market-share-is-there-any-way-to-know/

Vista: DOA in the Enterprise

,----[ Quote ]
| The really bad news for Microsoft: the number of business PCs running Windows
| XP increased from 2007 to 2008—three times the increase in the percentage of
| PCs running Vista.
|
| Perhaps worse: The majority of businesses waiting for Vista—meaning those
| running older Windows versions—migrated to XP instead. Microsoft had counted
| on Windows 2000 and older versions to go to Vista. The newest Windows saw
| some conversion, but XP got much more.
`----

http://www.microsoft-watch.com/content/vista/vista_doa_in_the_enterprise.html?kc=MWRSS02129TX1K0000535
http://tinyurl.com/5by7m4