Re: Olympic Videos not being offered to Linux Users by NBC

Homer <usenet@xxxxxxxxxx> espoused:
> Verily I say unto thee, that Rockinghorse Winner spake thusly:
>
>> Well, now that you can buy everything over the internet, and there
>> are no more mom and pop retailers, and the music companies are dying,
>> and high fidelity sound is dying, and the forums are almost all
>> corporate owned, and usenet is dying and the corporate goons are
>> monitoring what files you send and receive over the internet, is it
>> really a surprise that MSLSD won't let OSS users access video of the
>> International Olympics online? I can't think of a better symbol for
>> where we are today....
>
> This perhaps:
>
> http://media.slated.org/albums/userpics/10002/The_Truth_about_the_Vista_logo.ogg
>
> I've no problem with commercial exploitation, provided it is just the
> business opportunity that's being exploited, and not the people.

An interesting question... when does a transaction become exploitation?
This certainly has something to do with monopolies and restricting
freedom of action.

> When corporations veer too far from subsistence into greed, and become
> the lawmakers by proxy, to pervert /opportunity/ into /monopoly/, that's
> when business changes from being a healthy and necessary function of
> society, into a vicious monster that displaces democracy for fascism.

The recent UK rules regarding requiring ISPs to shut down users merely
on the say-so of the music industry is a really good example of rights
being massively undermined.  There is no justification for ISPs to
become judge, jury and executioner in order to maintain an ageing and
arguably highly exploitative monopoly.

--
| mark at ellandroad dot demon dot co dot uk                           |
| Open platforms prevent vendor lock-in.  Own your Own services!       |