Re: [News] [Rival] Microsoft Windows Zombies Emit Well Over 100,000,000,000 SPAM Per Day

> ____/ Mark Kent on Wednesday 13 August 2008 17:21 : \____

>>> ____/ The Ghost In The Machine on Tuesday 12 August 2008 21:39 : \____

>>> It's the cost of cybercrime, not bandwidth you should look at.
>>>

>> Ah, but Roy, the bandwidth has to be paid for - it's a very large part
>> of the cost indeed.
>
> Compared to about $60 billion per year in damages?

I would imagine that the bandwidth cost also comes into billions, plus
the cost of the power for all the routers and muxes and line systems to
move this stuff, and the terminating devices which send and receive it,
and so on.

In fact, it would be an interesting exercise to calculate just how £much
it costs to move a bit around the world these days, then move up the
layers.  The highest costs are probably at the final terminals, with all
that complex graphical processing to display output, but even so, it
*still* all has a cost.

--
| mark at ellandroad dot demon dot co dot uk                           |
| Open platforms prevent vendor lock-in.  Own your Own services!       |