Re: [News] OpenGL Gets DirectX/Microsoft's Knickers in a Twist

In comp.os.linux.advocacy, Hadron
<hadronquark@xxxxxxxxx>
 wrote
on Mon, 22 Dec 2008 21:16:30 +0100
<giosmb$9fc$4@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>:
> Matt <matt@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> writes:
>
>> Roy Schestowitz wrote:
>>>
>>> OpenCL and OpenGL take on DirectX
>>>
>>> ,----[ Quote ]
>>> stumble | with Vista and its DirectX/Direct3D version 10 has also
>>> helped to stall its | momentum in the market. Microsoft plans to add
>>> OpenCL-like support for GPGPU | computing into DirectX 11 in Windows
>>> 7, but Apple's OpenCL, which is designed | to work closely with
>>> OpenGL code, will arrive first and with broad industry |
>>> support. Apple has also released OpenCL as a royalty-free, open
>>> standard | anyone can implement on any platform.
>>

>> But I don't see whether they have or haven't licensed the source code
>> with a GPL-like license or even opened it for inspection.  That seems
>> troublesome.
>>

>>> `----
>>>
>>> http://www.appleinsider.com/articles/08/12/16/opencl_and_opengl_take_on_directx.html
>
> MS always had openGL support. Or rather the video drivers did. What you
> DONT need is ANOTHER open standard from Apple.
>
> Are you guys nuts?

We must be.  After all, this is Khronos's spec; therefore
Linux is to blame...

http://www.opengl.org/news/comments/khronos_group_announces_release_of_opencl_1.0_specification/
http://www.khronos.org/opencl/
http://www.apple.com/macosx/snowleopard/

The second page in particular sums up the intended purpose
of OpenCL reasonably well:

    OpenCL (Open Computing Language) is the first open, royalty-free
    standard for general-purpose parallel programming of heterogeneous
    systems. OpenCL provides a uniform programming environment for
    software developers to write efficient, portable code for
    high-performance compute servers, desktop computer systems and
    handheld devices using a diverse mix of multi-core CPUs, GPUs,
    Cell-type architectures and other parallel processors such as DSPs.

Of course, one might quibble as to whether this is indeed
the first, as opposed to such notables as Illiac IV (which
ran a variant of Fortran with some odd syntax to indicate
vectors), various Crays, and the Connection Machine (which
apparently ran a variant of LISP).

For its part Direct3D 11 will offer some new features as well,
among them more secure video/graphics data and compute shaders.
http://news.softpedia.com/news/Direct3D-11-with-New-Features-in-Windows-7-97394.shtml
The article gives no firm date, though Build 7004 is out as of
sometime very early this morning (2008-Dec-22 03:31 UTC), so
it's in alpha, at least.

#191, ewill3@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
fortune: not found