Re: [News] OpenGL Gets DirectX/Microsoft's Knickers in a Twist

In comp.os.linux.advocacy, Hadron
<hadronquark@xxxxxxxxx>
 wrote
on Mon, 22 Dec 2008 22:29:58 +0100
<gip104$rh3$1@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>:
> Peter Köhlmann <peter.koehlmann@xxxxxxxx> writes:
>
>> Hadron wrote:

>> http://www.appleinsider.com/articles/08/12/16/opencl_and_opengl_take_on_directx.html
>>>
>>> MS always had openGL support.
>>
>> They did not /always/ have OpenGL support
>> And in Vista they downgraded OpenGL rather sharply
>>
>>> Or rather the video drivers did.
>>
>> Right. MS did very little of it
>>
>>> What you
>>> DONT need is ANOTHER open standard from Apple.
>>>
>>> Are you guys nuts?
>>>

>> Do you even have the slightest idea what OpenCL is?
>> And who worked on that *open* standard? Hint: It wasn't apple. They are
>> just the first to implemet it.
>> And no, it is not meant to /replace/ OpenGL, it is meant to /augment/ it.
>>
>> Leave it to Hadron Quark, the dimwittest wintroll in COLA, to completely
>> miss the point once again.
>>
>> Are you Snot Glassers smarter twin in your other life?
>
> You do not have a clue about the subject at hand moron.
>
> Why do you think that SOME games run cross platform *natively* ?
>
> Answer : they are written in openGL.

Pedant Point: I frankly doubt such; good gaming engines
would most likely abstract the problem away anyway.
It's a bit like modeling a bouncing ball deep in the gaming
engine with the list of quadrilaterals or triangles
approximating it in an OpenGL display list by some sort
of driver/converter/subroutine *outside* the game proper;
the display won't see the former, and the gaming engine may
see only small parts of the latter.

Lower parts will hook the objects into the display lists.
In OpenGL, these might be converted to shaders and
instruction sequences which render the display per frame,
or are referenced during display rendering -- glNewList()
and glEndList(), for those familiar with the API; I don't
know what Direct3D does in that area but from what little
I've read it's more data-based rather than state/sequence-based,
with a more complicated setup.

Quake 4 in particular runs very well on Linux, with some
version of OpenGL (and a native Linux program driving
the whole shebang); however, the official game site
(www.quake4game.com) specifically stipulates DirectX 9.0C,
which it includes in its installation.  Doesn't look like
OpenGL to me.

Of course the Quake4 data is the same in both cases.

Unreal Tournament had software and OpenGL rendering engines;
the former used the main CPU, the latter set up display
lists through an OpenGL driver.  The look between the
two was very different back then.  UT2004 also varied
slightly between Windows and Linux -- the most visible
area being the semitransparent blue health icon.  UT2004
also dumped the software rendering, which is probably
just as well; even cheap cards can do Direct3D and OpenGL
at a rather crude level.  (Heck, my laptop supports OpenGL,
though not all that fast.)

#191, ewill3@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
Useless C++ Programming Idea #8830129:
std::set<...> v; for(..:iterator i = v.begin(); i != v.end(); i++)
    if(*i == thing) {...}