Re: Fairness in marketing

Verily I say unto thee, that Sinister Midget spake thusly:

> How do you punish a salespuke who has zero idea about how things
> work? If he's repeating what he's been told, or what he has been led
> to believe by other clueless people, can you really hold him
> responsible?

I believe that if what an employee is doing (wrong) can be proved to be
as a result of company policy, or lack of same (e.g. training) then the
company itself can be held accountable. The degree to which this is true
will vary from one industry; case; jurisdiction and circumstance to
another, but such industry regulations do exist. /Proving/ liability is
something else though, and invariably results in cover-ups and scapegoats.

> But most retailers don't know they're selling deceit. They're either
>  taking the word of the manufacturer, of they've been fooled into
> believing the old wives' tales they're telling.

As the saying goes: Ignorance is no excuse in the eyes of the law, which
is why so many companies in various industries are so keen to implement
regulatory compliance training. In the long run, it's cheaper than
facing fines or other sanctions. I have no idea if any such regulations
exist WRT salesmen, but if not then it's about time they did.

--
K.
http://slated.org

.----
|  the most practical one. That point of view lasted for maybe two
|  weeks after initial exposure to Lisp."   ~ Constantine Vetoshev

 23:06:51 up 34 days,  6:49,  2 users,  load average: 0.21, 0.08, 0.02