Re: [News] Red Hat CEO Foresees Expansion

Erik Funkenbusch <erik@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> writes:

> On Mon, 01 Dec 2008 23:21:50 +0100, Mart van de Wege wrote:
>
>> Erik Funkenbusch <erik@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> writes:

>>> Commercial software is driven by sales.  You give customers what they want,
>>> and they buy your product.  If you refuse to give them what they want, they
>>> give their money to someone who IS willing to give them what they want.
>>
>> Ah right.
>>
>> That is why game companies keep using SecuRom as a copy-protection
>> method, despite the almost universal disdain customers have for this
>> particular system.
>
> The vast majority of people never even know it's there.  Of the people that
> care, sure, they hate it.  But most people don't even know.  And of the
> people that hate it, they want the product enough to buy it in most cases,
> regardless.

So, to summarise: if you want to buy a game, you're pretty much stuck
with what the publisher chooses to use for copy protection.

You do realise that you are *agreeing* with me, don't you?

>> And that's why Windows is so prevalent. People just love it.
>
> Again, Microsoft gives them more of what they want than what they don't.

Look at those goalposts move. That *wasn't* what you started out
asserting. This is a much weaker assertion.

>> You really believe that 'sovereign consumer' shit, don't you? Here's a
>> hint: except for the most rabid Chicago Scool zealots, even economists
>> have consigned that theory to the scrap heap.
>
> People don't buy what they don't want.  Thta's all there is to it.

Yes, well, that skips the question as to how people get these wants in
the first place.

Your knowledge of economics is about 30 years out of date.

Mart

--- AJS, quoting an uncertain source.