Re: [News] Survey: Microsoft Office Monopoly Eroding, Gauged at Just 66% Installed Base

____/ Mark Kent on Tuesday 12 February 2008 06:51 : \____

http://www.computerworlduk.com/community/blogs/index.cfm?entryid=475&blogid=14

>>> I think the days of high priced office solutions from Microsoft are
>>> numbered. There are now other viable options...even Abiword
>>> if you just need some word processing !
>>
>> This has just been acknowledged by Microsoft which set it's Office Live
>> (read: Google catchup) free, despite the fact that a Microsoft manager said
>> there was poor demand for it. It was roughly 4 months ago.
>>
>> OOXML is Microsoft's attempt to survive the Web era, making documents and
>> programs incompatible unless they are from Microsoft.
>>

> Several SME people I know are now using Google office and calendaring
> and mail, essentially, they've moved their office support software
> entirely to google's hosted services.  I think that all the hassles
> associated with running these things locally are just too much for most
> people.

Last year, Google claimed that over 100,000 had moved to Google Apps (from
Microsoft Office most likely). The company keeps modest and quiet about it
(same with Red Hat, to whom attitude is seen as crucial, so it rarely
advertises). Did you know that a Microsoft puppet called the Burton Group
issued anti-Google Apps studies? There was a whole Microsoft propaganda
campaign against it. That's just how Microsoft competes. It's the only
language it understands.

Roy S. Schestowitz      | Open syntax, Open API's, Open Source
Tasks: 127 total,   1 running, 126 sleeping,   0 stopped,   0 zombie