Re: [News] Survey: Microsoft Office Monopoly Eroding, Gauged at Just 66% Installed Base

____/ John Locke on Monday 11 February 2008 21:02 : \____

http://www.computerworlduk.com/community/blogs/index.cfm?entryid=475&blogid=14

>>> Last year it was 20% of The Register's reader who said they were using
>>> OpenOffice.org.
>>
>>Interesting... the only interesting metric of foss usage is foss usage.
>>As there is no market for linux itself, or at least, a very small one,
>>it's not something you can quantify, since there's nothing to quantify,
>>however, usage is the interesting thing.
>>
>>OO.org at 24% is large enough to be essentially unstoppable now, in
>>spite of all Microsoft's efforts at corrupting both ECMA and ISO.
>>
> I think the days of high priced office solutions from Microsoft are
> numbered. There are now other viable options...even Abiword
> if you just need some word processing !

This has just been acknowledged by Microsoft which set it's Office Live (read:
Google catchup) free, despite the fact that a Microsoft manager said there was
poor demand for it. It was roughly 4 months ago.

OOXML is Microsoft's attempt to survive the Web era, making documents and
programs incompatible unless they are from Microsoft.

Roy S. Schestowitz      |   Apache: commercial software's days are numbered
         run-level 2  2008-01-24 14:06                   last=