Re: [News] 5 Sub-$300 Laptops Are All Running GNU/Linux

____/ 7 on Thursday 28 February 2008 20:37 : \____

> Roy Schestowitz wrote:
>
>> Top 5 Sub-$300 Laptops Compared
>>
>> ,----[ Quote ]
>> | Whether you?re looking for a child?s laptop, or just want a cheap piece
>> | of hardware to play with, the sub-$300 laptop category has a lot to
>> | offer. With a field full of open source plaforms and rugged designs,
>> | you?re sure to find something you?ll like. Here we?ll take a look at 5
>> | of the best.
>> `----
>>
>> http://www.virtualhosting.com/blog/2008/top-5-sub-300-laptops-compared/
>>
>> Sony leery of the Asus Eee PC?
>>
>> ,----[ Quote ]
>> | At Sony's annual Open House event, Sony's IT product division senior
>> | vice president Mike Abary said if the Asus Eee PC starts to do well, it
>> | could potentially shift the entire notebook industry into a race to the
>> | bottom.
>
> What sony$ are saying is they can't compete as they used to.
> They need their competitors to fall and roll over dead.
> It would be more interesting if sony$ and their marketing department
> rolls over and drops dead!!!
>
> As costs start to fall, there will be plenty of competitors
> trying to fill the niche for low cost laptop PCs.
> If anything, overal demand would soar into millions of units
> per day as with embedded Linux gadgets for example,
> (most of which sony$ can't put a foot in because of their
> high priced goods). Its seems competition is good
> for the customer as more customers participate.
> And sony$ marketing department is lying when it
> says its a race to the bottom. It only applies
> to their own high priced products that can't
> compete.

Acer and H-P are already responding with low-cost laptops (probably both
Linux-based but details will come soon.). They have no choice. They have to
compete somehow.

Roy S. Schestowitz      | Anonymous posters are more frequently disregarded