Re: ODF and binary data--why do you ignore it, Roy?

Roy Schestowitz <newsgroups@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote in

> ____/ Jesper Lund Stocholm on Monday 25 February 2008 22:01 : \____
>
>> What do you think the alternative should be?
>
> This binary part supports the storage of arbitrary user-defined data.
>
> ,----[ Quote ]
>| <Relationships xmlns="â?¦">
>| <Relationship Id="rId7"
>| Type="http://.../customProperty"; Target="CustomProperty.bin"/>
>| </Relationships>

But Roy, all document formats permit inclusion of arbitrary binary
chunks. You are correct that it poses a problem with interoperability,
but that's sadly the reality of the world we live in. Would you prefer
that OOXML should be the only document format without this ability?

> OOXML Contains Proprietary Microsoft Codecs (as 'Standard')
>
> http://www.noooxml.org/forum/t-41316/good-bye-interoperability-2-with-p
> roprietary-audio-and-video-formats

Some of the problems stated on the page are nonsense. Which ones are you
referring to?

> DIS-29500: Deprecated before use?
>
> ,----[ Quote ]
>| Simultaneously, ECMA addresses this in Response 34 of its proposed
>| Disposition of Comments by removing all references to idiosyncrasies
>| from the specification and placing them in a newly formed Annex for
>| deprecated information. With the removal of this information from the
>| DIS-29500, the  design goal of MS-OOXML can no longer be met. The
>| entire specification has therefore effectively become obsolete.
> `----

They misunderstand the term "deprecated". Deprecated items are still
normative and still part of the specifation. So the goals can still be
met.

> http://fsfeurope.org/documents/msooxml-idiosyncrasies
>
> I can find you comments from the DIS-29500 Web sites which clearly
> indicate that there are deprecated Windows-only printing functions
> right there inside OOXML.  There are many similar examples, but given
> the flood here of Microsoft agents I don't think it's the right place
> to discuss this.

Please provide them. It is true that OOXML allows storing printer
specific data in the file. These are naturally platform specific, but
they are not Windows-only.

--
Jesper Lund Stocholm
http://idippedut.dk