Re: conspiracy theorists and open source

* DFS fired off this tart reply:

> At *best*, he's a lying piece of dung.

Speak for yourself.

>> Front-office and consumer computing are too important to be left to
>> the whims and aims of one too-powerful/too-arrogant company.
>
> Who says MS is in control of anything?  If companies don't want to use MS
> software, they're free to migrate off Windows anytime.  MS can do nothing
> about it.

You miss my point.  Microsoft has probably the deepest kind of vendor
lock-in there has ever been in operating systems and office software,
and they're digging in even deeper with the Sharepoint trap.

Microsoft can do what it wants -- increase prices, churn interfaces and
code, generate sub-par software, and there is no alternative that
doesn't involve vast amounts of new purchases, training, and re-coding.

Even on the Internet, Microsoft has enough of a purchase that we're only
now beginning to dig out from the big hole of Microsoft-only sites.

--
This sig has expired.  Please reactivate your sig by paying $0.25
and entering the 30-character activation key that will be emailed to