Re: [News] Selling Music Like Free Software Pays Off

Verily I say unto thee, that thad05@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx spake thusly:

> The only problem with this model is that it decreases the importance
> (and thus the profits) of record labels and keeps more of the money
> with the artists.  Wait, did I actually call that a 'problem'?

Well it's a "problem" to the media moguls, certainly :)

These moguls are just businessmen; they have zero empathy with the
creative process, and thus view their role in this system entirely
dispassionately. That is not, in and of itself, a reprehensible or
corrupt position to adopt, but at some point the game changed from
"promotion" to "ownership" (a.k.a. "Intellectual Property"), where
the "artist" became a "product" (e.g. The Artist Formerly Known as
Prince case); and the industry became a grotesque, greedy monster;
out to harvest humans and their artistic works, rather than be the
symbiotic benefactor that helps them. Now there is no symbiosis at
all - only leeches sucking every last drop of blood from those who
are naive enough to play the game.

--
K.
http://slated.org

.----
| "[Microsoft] are willing to lose money for years and years just to
|  make sure that you don't make any money, either." - Bob Cringely.
|  - http://blog.businessofsoftware.org/2007/07/cringely-the-un.html

 01:25:29 up 11 days, 23:01,  2 users,  load average: 0.00, 0.04, 0.07