Re: FYI: Microsoft's Windows Home Server corrupts files......

Antonio Murphie <the-murphie@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> Remote desktop has a secure connection.
> It can connect disk drives.
> It can connect printers.
> It can connect serial ports.
>
> Port forwarding is nice but other than being able to forward a port, how
> does it help administer a remote computer?

I haven't played with Windows' remote desktop in a while, so please
let me know if it has improved, but last time I tried it you could
only remote the entire desktop, not just individual apps.  With
Linux/Unix/X, you can run just an individual app from a remote system
(even when that system does not have a desktop environment running)
and redirect it to your local system.  You can redirect multiple apps
from that remote system to different local users, or multiple apps
from different remote systems to a single local system.  Of course
cut-n-paste between local and remote apps works fine.  You can
also of course redirect an entire desktop if you wish.  Multiple
users can be running remote sessions and not bump into each other (some
remote desktop systems require exclusive access).

This highly granular approach to remote windowing combined with
multiple desktop workspaces makes Linux/X a great system for managing
many servers or workstations simultaneously.

How does Windows compare to that?  Does it bundle per-app remoting
yet, or is it still a full desktop system?  Seamless multi-user access?
Multiple desktop workspaces to easily keep remote sessions separate?

Thad
all the ingredients on the label.