Re: [News] People Beg to Stay Away from Vista, Linux+Hardware Cheaper Than Vista

Linonut wrote:
> * DFS peremptorily fired off this memo:
>
>> Here's what will happen (and it's very simple): the free-wheeling,
>> freeloading Linux/OSS community will continue to produce shoddy
>> application software and no games, ...
>
> How can one poster spew so much idiocy so continuously, almost
> unabated by any sense of knowledge of what is going on in the IT and
> gaming industries?

You'll have to ask Rex himself.

>> No Linux goob really, truly believes Linux crapware will ever beat
>> MS\commercial code on the desktop.  Do they?
>
> I used to believe that Linux-based software would never beat Microsoft
> software, especially in the money-market.  Now I'm not so sure.

Don't worry: I'm more than sure enough for both of us.

> Microsoft has a big berm to hide behind, and they work quickly at
> building it, but it is eroding nonetheless.

Where else do they go from 96% market share?

> I suspect Windows will remain a "high-end" purchase for the consumer
> and business desktop for a long time to come, though.

huh?  Windows software can be found for prices well below "high-end".

> By the way, the phrase "Linux crapware" is extremely misleading on
> more than one level.

I know, I know: "Linux is just the kernel!"   (unless 30,000 desktops in
some faraway land are converted, then "Linux is taking over!").