Re: [News] People Beg to Stay Away from Vista, Linux+Hardware Cheaper Than Vista

> ____/ ml2mst on Saturday 19 January 2008 01:02 : \____
>
>> Roy Schestowitz wrote:
>>
>>> ____/ chrisv on Friday 18 January 2008 17:54 : \____

>>> It's the same in other parts of Europe (Holland at the least, but it's
>>> moving to other platforms).
>>
>> Well actually I don't give a toss about my country, but something is
>> really happening in the Netherlands.
>>
>> Holland has always been a pretty *Pro Microsoft* country, but they are
>> loosing. No matter what forum I post, Microsoft shills are the underdog,
>> they simply can't compete to the majority of Free and Open Source
>> Software enthusiasts.
>>
>> Public services in Holland have adopted Free Software and Open Standards
>> (file formats). If this is possible in a Microsoft led country as the
>> Netherlands, it's possible anywhere.
>>
>> Microsoft has simply screwed them selves with all their recent failures.
>>
>> I recently published my (free) biography "Hackwerk" in PDF format and
>> was personally attacked by Dutch Microsoft shills, simply because they
>> know they are loosing and there's no turning back.
>>
>> I'm sorry, I am a MultiOS fan and I came to the conclusion that
>> Microsoft Windows _is_ the *worst* Operating System ever.
>>
>> The Microsoft shills are getting more aggressive by the day, because
>> they are aware of the fact, they are desperate and are aware of the fact
>> loosing.
>
> It's about money to them. No Windows equates to a career change to them, as
> well as a decline in wage. They'll fight, but they will eventually lose.

But nothing is stopping them from joining the free software world.  The
entry barrier is miniscule - an old PC, a free download and bob's your
uncle.

My issues around free software are as much about the philosophy as
anything else, but it is quite clear, as Mr Stallman often points out,
that the philosophical model can be broken in all kinds of subtle ways.