Re: The Microsoft CIO was fired because...

____/ Linonut on Friday 18 January 2008 20:50 : \____

>> ____/ [H]omer on Friday 18 January 2008 18:20 : \____
>>
>>> Verily I say unto thee, that Linonut spake thusly:

>>> Seriously, I cannot help thinking this scandal has something to do with
>>> OOXML (Sweden) ... or maybe Nigeria, and Stuart Scott was the fall guy.
>>
>> The Danish news seems to suggest that using BSD was the cause for the
>> sacking, but I can't read Danish. I posted something about it several hours
>> ago.
>
> Run it through babelfish.

I think it won't do Danish (Google never did for sure), but either way I
received this by E-mail from someone who is Danish and he said:

,----[ Quote ]
| This one is in Danish, but you might be able to grasp
| some of the last line:
|
|       http://www.comon.dk/index.php/news/show/id=34420
|
| It looks like there is a rumor that the fellow was fired for doing his
| job, which means setting up a FOSS infrastructure.  I suppose HotMail
| still runs on FreeBSD, though it'd be hard to find out for sure.  The
| front end is obfuscated.
`----

This is really worth investigation. Maybe Microsoft never 'fixed' it because it
wasn't broken. That said, Hotmail is a disaster as it is (well, it's in
Microsoft's hand, so...).

It’s ME vs. MICROSOFT - Who Will Win ?

,----[ Quote ]
| Now, the only problem with #1 is that IT DOES NOT WORK. When Microsoft
| blackholes your email, or bounces it with “550 Your e-mail was rejected for
| policy reasons on this gateway.“, no amount of client whitelisting is going
| to help (I tried it). This leaves me with option #2 - well I say “F-You
| Microsoft, I’m not paying for YOUR STUPID MISTAKES!”
`----

http://success.grownupgeek.com/index.php/2007/09/28/its-me-vs-microsoft-who-will-win/

If Intent Can Be Proven, Microsoft Could Face Millions Of Mail Fraud Charges

,----[ Quote ]
| The final results bore out the "conventional wisdom." If emails were donuts,
| Hotmail would be HomerSimpsonMail. I don't need to reiterate the figures,
| there they are in blue and red. But for a Hotmail account to destroy up to
| 81% of all emails with attachments prior to their delivery to a "generic" ISP
| email account is nothing short of absurd, as these Hotmail accounts were not
| the free variety, but the fully paid ones. Compare those figures to the ones
| where the generic ISP email accounts exchanged emails with attachments and
| you will clearly see the difference. The worst performance was in making 2%
| Vanish.
`----

http://hubpages.com/hub/Hotmail_Fails_To_Deliver_Up_To_81_Of_All_Attachment_Emails

Hotmail engine overhaul

,----[ Quote ]
| The redesign effort, even its more ambitious aspects, is not
| a total wash, however.
|
| [...]
|
| With Hotmail, Microsoft was at the end of its development rope.
| Every new feature basically had to be "hacked" into the code.
`----

http://news.zdnet.com/2100-9588_22-6181819-2.html?tag=st.next

Hotmail's antispam measures snuff out legit emails, too

,----[ Quote ]
| Hotmail users and email server admins, beware: you may be unknowingly
| caught in the crossfire of Microsoft's war on spam. Unintended
| casualties include legitimate emails from domains with
| well-established reputations, which are systematically blocked
| with absolutely no notice and little recourse.
`----

http://www.theregister.co.uk/2007/05/01/hotmail_friendly_fire/

Hotmail still riddled with spam

,----[ Quote ]
| Microsoft has admitted that up to 98 per cent of messages sent to
|                                   ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
| Hotmail addresses are spam.
| ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
|
| [...]
|
| The findings will disappoint Microsoft chairman Bill Gates, who
| predicted at the 2004 Davos World Economic Forum that spam would
| be "eliminated" within two years.
`----

http://www.vnunet.com/vnunet/news/2188226/hotmail-riddled-spam-admits

Microsoft looking into Hotmail, Messenger problems

,----[ Quote ]
| Microsoft engineers were looking into problems with Windows Live
| Hotmail and Live Messenger on Thursday after users reported
| problems getting onto the services.
`----

http://news.com.com/2061-10805_3-6175597.html

A computer is like air conditioning: it becomes useless when you open windows.
                                                 ~Linus Torvalds
Swap:  1510068k total,   325452k used,  1184616k free,    66636k cached