[News] Elitex 2008 Features India's GNU/Linux Distribution

  • Subject: [News] Elitex 2008 Features India's GNU/Linux Distribution
  • From: Roy Schestowitz <newsgroups@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 21 Jan 2008 04:48:21 +0000
  • Newsgroups: comp.os.linux.advocacy
C-DAC Releases Five New Products at Elitex 2008

,----[ Quote ]
| C-DAC’s commitment towards bridging the digital divide with Free and Open
| Source Software has crossed another major milestone with the release of
| Bharat Operating Systems Solutions (BOSS) Server Version, which can be used
| in the Government departments as an Intranet Server. The BOSS Linux Server
| has several valuable features that includes a user-friendly GUI Front end
| that has Fire fox, Thunderbird and also supports printers and USB devices
| such as cameras. Presently it supports Intel and AMD x86/x86-64 architecture
| and is being tested on other architectures. Another key feature of BOSS Linux
| is the ability to remotely control the server. BOSS Linux Server is mainly
| targeted towards Government departments / SME’s and also towards Linux distro
| (distribution) developers for further development on Linux.
`----

http://www.businesswireindia.com/PressRelease.asp?b2mid=14841

Related:

BOSS 2.0 Released

,----[ Quote ]
| Finally our Indian Version of GNU/Linux is released on 17th September 2007 in
| the Connect 2007 program.
`----

http://bosslinux.in/boss-release

BOSS in Linux from C-DAC

,----[ Quote ]
| BOSS Linux was made specifically for the Indian environment, it consists of a
| pleasing desktop environment coupled with Indian language support and other
| packages that are most relevant for use in the government domain.
`----

http://youvibe.blogspot.com/2007/09/boss-in-linux-from-c-dac.html

BOSS Linux makes new users feel at home

,----[ Quote ]
| First-time Linux users should find BOSS pretty usable; its selection of
| applications and ability to work with Bluetooth devices, mount other
| partitions on the disk, and share files across the network, out of the box,
| make it a good distro for first-time Linux users.
`----

http://www.linux.com/articles/60764

BOSS Tarang 1.1 Review

,----[ Quote ]
| BOSS Linux, based in India, is trying to be the first Linux
| distribution trying to support all official languages of India.
| It does also support English which is also being used more in
| that country.
`----

http://gnuman.com/distros/boss_tarang_1.1_review.html

Red Hat in talks with states for open source solution

,----[ Quote ]
| The open source software business is gaining momentum in the country with
| governments keen on adopting this technology.
`----

http://economictimes.indiatimes.com/Red_Hat_in_talks_with_states_for_open_source_solution/rssarticleshow/2283777.cms

Time for a switch?

,----[ Quote ]
| Linux is powerful, easy to use and free. Naturally, it’s becoming the
| Operating System of choice for many internet aficionados.
`----

http://timesofindia.indiatimes.com/Pune_Times/Time_for_a_switch/articleshow/2257068.cms

Linux becoming visible on desktops

,----[ Quote ]
| The Penguin (named Tux) is finally making inroads as an operating system (OS)
| on desktops too. While it has an over 20 per cent market share when we speak
| of servers in India, the free OS called Linux has just around 5 per cent
| market share in the country when it comes to desktops – the lion’s share
| going to Microsoft Windows.
`----

http://www.business-standard.com/common/storypage.php?autono=293093&leftnm=8&subLeft=0&chkFlg=

Open Source - An Unstoppable Giant

,----[ Quote ]
| Presently, surfing the internet portal, checking bank balance online, booking
| railway tickets, searching jobs, logging in to a matrimonial site, or paying
| insurance premiums is often done by the application of open source Linux
| operating system.
`----

http://www.cxotoday.com/India/News/Open-Source_-_An_Unstoppable_Giant/551-82455-911.html

Contest for students to hit upon real life solutions

| The ‘Code for Freedom’ event, whose title derived from the independent
| spirit emblematic of the open source campaign, is aimed at involving
| students of at least 100 recognised colleges and universities.
`----

http://www.hindu.com/2007/08/19/stories/2007081953600500.htm

Open Source and the SMB

,----[ Quote ]
| SMBs are getting attracted towards Linux-based servers. Menon says that over
| 70 percent of customers plan to implement Linux-based solutions in some
| manner in the next two years, and the awareness of Linux and its benefits are
| high in the SMB segment. He says, “Less restrictive licensing policies and
| the ability to bundle all the bits and pieces into one comprehensive package,
| instead of first selling the OS, and then charging for access licences and
| every small tool and add on facility is something that SMBs appreciate.”
`----

http://www.expresscomputeronline.com/20070730/opensource01.shtml

PC resellers strike against Microsoft in India

,----[ Quote ]
| Stop harassment over piracy or we move to Linux...
|
| [...]
|
| "We have been approached by dealers in other states who are also
| being harassed by Microsoft," Randeri said. "If Microsoft does
| not cooperate, we will tell our dealers to migrate to Linux."
`----

http://www.computerworlduk.com/management/it-business/supplier-relations/news/index.cfm?newsid=3114

Laptop training for T. Nadu IAS officers

,----[ Quote ]
| They were given orientation in Suse Linux and Windows XP operating
| systems, since the laptop computers were loaded with them and Suse
| Linum operating system was a new technology, an official press
| release here said.
`----

http://www.hindu.com/thehindu/holnus/004200707052027.htm

ELCOT's success story of Suse linux migration

,----[ Quote ]
`----

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3_g72GcaIdc