Re: [News] Dell Recognises Anti-Vista Sentiments, Offers Alternatives

* Homer peremptorily fired off this memo:

>> ,----[ Quote ]
> [...]
>> | During the US Department of Justice's antitrust trial, IBM revealed
>> | that Microsoft had delayed giving IBM access to Windows 95 simply
>> | because IBM refused to kill its own OS/2 operating system or agree
>> | to not bundle its SmartSuite rival to Office on IBM PCs.
>> `----
>>
>> http://www.channelregister.co.uk/2008/06/30/dell_xp_channel/
>
> Another prime example of Microsoft's racketeering. How many more such
> examples will certain Trolls need before they accept the truth?

   Dell offers 'Windows Vista Bonus' to frightened customers

   By Gavin Clarke in San Francisco
   30 Jun 2008 19:24

   The 'bonus' is XP instead of Vista

OMFG!  That's too rich!  You can't make this stuff up!

   The Dell channel blog is pointing resellers to the loophole in the
   Windows Vista license that enables business customers to downgrade
   from the unwanted Windows Vista to its dated, but comfortable and
   better-supported predecessor.

   According to the blog: "Dell can sell what we've branded 'Windows
   Vista Bonus' which allows us to preinstall XP Professional with a
   Vista license (on select system categories). This lets customer's
   upgrade to the Vista platform when they're ready. And yes, Dell will
   support both OSs."

Windows Vista Bonus.

As in "bone us!"

   Dell's stance of not just offering Windows XP directly but actively
   telling its huge ecosystem of resellers how they, too, can game
   Microsoft's system and continue selling Windows XP demonstrates a
   significant shift in the OEM's relationship with Microsoft.

Wassamatta?!?  Sweaty too busy to pay a little visit to Michael Dell?

Or does it matter to Ballmer at all, since he still gets paid ("WE NEED
TO GET PAID!") for Vista.

   http://apcmag.com/pirated_windows_more_impressive_than_the_real_thing.htm

   Pirated Windows more impressive than the real thing

   James Bannan30 June 2008, 9:48 PM (1 day 1 hour ago.)

   The latest version of TinyXP has hit the pirate boards.
   SP3-integrated and with more tools than you can poke a stick at, it
   gives XP a new lease on life. Shame it's illegal.

   One of the annoyances with installing a fresh copy of Windows XP
   these days is that the driver set is six years out of date, and
   there's been a LOT of new hardware emerge since then. It's
   one thing to install the latest graphics driver, but it's
   another to have to set up everything from the chipset to the storage
   drivers. Sometimes you feel that after having spent half an hour
   installing XP, you're spending twice that much time again to
   just get it functional.

   . . .

   It's a shame Microsoft don't include this level of
   customisation and troubleshooting on the regular Windows CD/DVD. But
   perhaps with so many copies doing the rounds of the forums and
   boards, they don't feel any need to.

--
"I don't know what their gripe is.  A critic is
 simply someone paid to render opinions glibly."