Re: [News] [SOT] UK ISPs Become Copyrights Police

  • Subject: Re: [News] [SOT] UK ISPs Become Copyrights Police
  • From: Homer <usenet@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 01 Jul 2008 14:05:43 +0100
  • Newsgroups: comp.os.linux.advocacy

> BT to cut off file-sharing customers
[...]
> They hopefully check very carefully if copyrights are involved at
> all. What happens if users get chopped off the network for a mistaken
> judgment? How can a CC-licensed song be told apart from
> RIAA-affiliated drumbeat junk?

At the very least, this is a gross violation of privacy and civil
rights. As you say, many legitimate file-sharing activities will be
compromised, and in the course of the ISP's snooping, no one's online
activities will be private, even those unrelated to file-sharing.

That's more like a police state than democracy, and all to satisfy the
greedy whims of a few media moguls. Who the Hell do these people think
they are, that they can pervert democracy for their own selfish ends?
More to the point, who are the corrupt politicians who capitulated to
the unethical demands of a handful of crooked businessmen?

However, there is a technical solution, if not a political one. Sign up
to a VPN service that creates an encrypted secure tunnel between your
local network and an offshore host located outside the sphere of
influence of this corruption. That way your ISP sees nothing but that
single encrypted connection. They can't examine packets or determine the
ultimate destination IPs of those packets; they cannot tell with whom
you are communicating nor for what purpose. The only information they
can ascertain is the overall bandwidth utilisation. You'll also need to
use an offshore DNS server, otherwise your IP lookups will be logged on
the ISP's server.

https://www.perfect-privacy.com
http://www.opendns.com

I demand the right to privacy.

If my own country refuses to honour that right, then I'll just have to
move the end point of my Internet connection elsewhere. Problem solved.
What are the ISPs/Governments/moguls going to do then ... block all
communication to foreign countries?

They're fighting a losing battle, and doing so in the most unethical manner.

It's a damning indictment of the poor state of democracy, when citizens
trust unknown agents in foreign (and even undemocratic) countries more
than their native governments and businesses.

--
K.
http://slated.org

.----
| "Stallman has frequently pointed out, Free Software is by no means
| antithetical to making money: it's just a question of how you make
| money." ~ Glyn Moody: http://tinyurl.com/4wn2l2 (ComputerworldUK)

 14:05:23 up 193 days, 10:40,  2 users,  load average: 0.05, 0.35, 0.27