Re: [News] [Rival] "Huge Security in Roy Schestowitz" (All Versions Affected)

On 2008-06-30, Erik Funkenbusch <erik@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> claimed:
> On Mon, 30 Jun 2008 11:18:34 +0100, Roy Schestowitz wrote:
>
>>| after changing the URL 1,000 times. And this ghost is able to see everything
>>| you do, including what you are surfing and what you are typing (passwords
>>| included), and even guess your next move."
>>
>> http://www.heise.de/english/newsticker/news/110181/from/rss09
>
> From the link:
>
> "Whether changing over to alternative browsers such as Firefox gives any
> real protection is still to be shown. Security expert Nate McFeters has
> seen the original "ghosts" presentation and claims in his blog that the
> problem affects all browsers. "

Also from the link:

   If you take into account that hundreds of thousands of sites are
   compromised right now, the implication is that you'd better not use
   Internet Explorer to visit any more important sites.

And, from the part you left off of the paragraph you added:

   We can however safely assume that a combination of Firefox with the
   NoScript add-on offers reduced exposure to such attacks.

If IE could use something like NoScript, it might stand /some/ chance.
It can't, so it doesn't.

Firefox /can/ use it. I know because I've had it installed for a long
time. We can "safely assume" we're faced with reduced exposure, those
of us who use it.

Use IE and you can "safely assume" you're being owned in yet another
way several times every day.

Nice to know. I use IE for two things: to get mail at work, and to
connect to an internal Citrix server for some work-related things.

--
"Ironically, Microsoft's efforts to deny interoperability of Windows
with legitimate non-Microsoft applications have created an environment