[News] Dell Recognises Anti-Vista Sentiments, Offers Alternatives

Dell offers 'Windows Vista Bonus' to frightened customers

,----[ Quote ]
| Dell is actively promoting a Microsoft licensing loophole to channel partners
| eager to keep selling PCs installed with Windows XP, after Microsoft's
| official cut off.
|
| [...]
|
| During the US Department of Justice's antitrust trial, IBM revealed that
| Microsoft had delayed giving IBM access to Windows 95 simply because IBM
| refused to kill its own OS/2 operating system or agree to not bundle its
| SmartSuite rival to Office on IBM PCs.
`----

http://www.channelregister.co.uk/2008/06/30/dell_xp_channel/

Recent:

Dell offers Windows XP to save folk from Vista

,----[ Quote ]
| YOU SELL COMPUTERS, but you can't flog them with Vista on.
|
| On the other hand, start flogging Windows-free PCs and an army of soft-footed
| voles will beat a path to your door and nibble at your margins. HWat to do?
`----

http://www.theinquirer.net/gb/inquirer/news/2008/04/14/dell-offers-windows-xp

Going out of business sale! Buy XP before it’s too late!

,----[ Quote ]
| I don’t recall ever seeing any company advertising the ‘old’ product over
| the ‘new’ product so strongly before, but Vista’s stink has grown so strong
| that it makes good business sense to promote XP over Vista. Has anyone ever
| been actually able to make a solid case for using Vista over XP? I haven’t
| seen one.
`----

http://blogs.computerworld.com/going_out_of_business_sale_buy_xp_before_its_too_late

Related:

Dell casts doubts on Vista

,----[ Quote ]
| Dell today revealed that it will restore the option to use Windows XP on
| some of its home systems, marking a potentially damaging blow to
| Microsoft's hopes for the newer Windows Vista.
|
| [...]
|
| While a popular request through the company's IdeaStorm website, the
| choice was substantially outnumbered by requests for pre-installed
| Linux, US-based technical support, and other features -- pointing to a
| larger general demand for the change. The turnaround may be a reflection of
| an overall backlash against Vista, observed IDC analyst Richard Shim.
`----

http://www.macnn.com/articles/07/04/19/dell.casts.doubts.on.vista/

Dell warns of Vista upgrade challenges

,----[ Quote ]
| Dell has taken the unusual step--for a PC vendor of its size--of
| toning down its sales pitch for Microsoft's Vista operating system
| and warning businesses of the migration challenges that lie ahead
| for them.
`----

http://www.zdnetasia.com/news/software/0,39044164,62027712,00.htm

Dell's secret Linux fling

,----[ Quote ]
| Dell's love affair with Linux is a clandestine affair these days,
| conducted in secret, away from disapproving eyes. But now the pair
| have been spotted in China.
|
| When Michael Dell first saw the web-footed beauty, he fell head over
| heels. Six years ago Dell pledged a series of strategic investments
| in Linux companies, including Eazel and Red Hat. The romance
| attracted the disapproval of Microsoft however, and barely lasted
| weeks. Very quietly, Dell dumped the bird.
|
| It later emerged that Microsoft's OEM enforcer Joachim Kempin had
| promised Steve Ballmer that he'd be putting the screws on PCb
| uilders, or "hitting the OEMs harder" in his words.
`----

http://www.theregister.co.uk/2007/01/09/dell_linux_china/

Microsoft 'killed Dell Linux' - States

,----[ Quote ]
| The States' remedy hearing opened in DC yesterday, and States attorney
| Steven Kuney produced a devastating memo from Kempin, then in charge of
| Microsoft's OEM business, written after Judge Jackson had ordered his
| break-up of the company. Kempin raises the possibility of threatening
| Dell and other PC builders which promote Linux.
|
| "I'm thinking of hitting the OEMs harder than in the past with anti-Linux.
| ... they should do a delicate dance," Kempin wrote to Ballmer, in what is
| sure to be a memorable addition to the phrases ("knife the baby", "cut off
| the air supply") with which Microsoft enriched the English language in the
| first trial. Unlike those two, this is not contested.
|
| [...]
|
| Earlier memos described that it was "untenable" that a key Microsoft
| partner was promoting Linux. Kuney revealed that Dell disbanded its Linux
| business unit in early 2001. Dell quietly pulled Linux from its desktop PCs
| in the summer of 2001, IDG's Ashlee Vance discovered subsequently, six
| months after we heard Michael Dell declare his love of Linux on the desktop
| the previous winter.
|
| Compaq was also mentioned in other memos, with Microsoft taking the line
| that OEMs should "meet demand but not help create demand" for Linux.
`----

http://www.theregister.co.uk/2002/03/19/microsoft_killed_dell_linux_states/

Did Microsoft want to 'whack' Dell over its Linux dealings?

,----[Quote ]
| A 2002 e-mail exchange filed with an Iowa court during one of the last
| state antitrust suits seems to say so; Redmond defends the thread.
|
| "We should whack them, we should make sure they understand our value,"
| wrote Paul Flessner, a senior vice president in Microsoft's server
| applications unit.
`----

http://news.com.com/Did+Microsoft+want+to+whack+Dell+over+its+Linux+dealings/2100-1014_3-6153904.html

Vista driver issues keep Dell Blu-ray laptop on WinXP

,----[ Quote ]
| Dell's XPS M1710 notebook with a Blu-ray disc player is stuck on Windows XP
| until driver issues can be worked out, according to a Dell representative.
`----

http://news.com.com/2061-10792_3-6161548.html?part=rss&tag=2547-1_3-0-20&subj=news

Dell's "Express Upgrade" to Vista not so "express"

,----[ Quote ]
| Dell-using Vista hopefuls are expressing their frustration at
| Dell's continued delays and problems with their Vista upgrades.
`----

http://www.engadget.com/2007/02/12/dells-express-upgrade-to-vista-not-so-express/

Dell Plays Hide-and-Seek with Vista PCs

,----[ Quote ]
| I never thought I would be saying this, but I think we have a
| Vista OEM distributor giving Microsoft the shaft. Who would
| that be you ask? Why, none other than Dell.
`----

http://www.osweekly.com/index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=2478

Does Dell hate Microsoft? Yes, Vista sucks ass!

,----[ Quote ]
| Look what has been found on the Dell's web site, very promising!
|
| [PICTURE]
`----

http://hakeris.co.uk/Does_Dell_hate_Microsoft?

Software-Refund-en

,----[ Quote ]
| What follows is my experience with getting Windows Vista (and more!)
| refunded after buying a new machine from Dell Germany. The process is
| put down in details for that people interested in doing the same,
| can benefit as much as possible from my experience.
`----

http://www.thealternative.ch/tiki-index.php?page=Software-Refund-en

Linux geek gets Dell to splash out for Windows

,----[ Quote ]
| It's pretty difficult to buy a laptop without Windows these days. But
| what if you have no intention of using it? The EULA for Windows XP has
| this clause:
|
| "You agree to be bound by the terms of this EULA by installing,
| copying, or otherwise using the software. If you do not agree, do
| not install, copy, or use the software; you may return it to your
| place of purchase for a full refund, if applicable."
|
| Technically, then, you should be allowed to send it back to your
| place of purchase and get a refund. This is exactly what Dave
| Mitchell, a systems admin, did.
`----

http://www.bit-tech.net/news/2006/11/09/Linux_geek_gets_Dell_to_splash_out_for_Windows/
http://tinyurl.com/yf9cxb

Dell customer gets Windows refund

,----[ Quote ]
| Thanks to Dell, one UK Linux user has succeeded in the perennial quest
| to buy and use a laptop without paying for an unused bundled OS.
`----

http://www.linuxworld.com/news/2006/110706-dell-windows.html

Dell Refunds OS Cost For Those Adopting Linux

,----[ Quote ]
| Open source technology fans in the San Francisco Bay Area are reportedly
| some of the first who began campaigning to get refunds for Microsoft
| Windows software they did not plan on using.
`----

http://www.dailytech.com/Article.aspx?newsid=4990

Dell in Vista RAID debacle

,----[ Quote ]
| The apparent issue with certain Intel RAID controllers and Microsoft's
| latest operating system, Vista - which got its long-awaited retail
| release on 30 January 2007 - has been a hotly debated topic in online
| forums for several months.
`----

http://www.theregister.co.uk/2007/03/28/dell_vista_raid/

Dell, the Linux desktop, and timing

,----[ Quote ]
| Dell may have picked the perfect time to begin offering
| Linux-powered desktops. Why? Because, the next generation of
| Windows, Vista, has just sprung its first major security leak:
| the .ANI vulnerability.
|
| [...]
|
| Think you can stop it by blocking .ani files? Nope, SANS reports
| that crackers are renaming the .ani files as .jpegs and your
| Windows system will still get smacked.

Vista Upgrade, Dimension E521, Sound Blaster Audigy MB Software

,----[ Quote ]
| Rather than reply to many individual comments and personal e-mails
| regarding the Dell Vista Express Upgrade, concerns around the
| Dimension E521, and the Vista version of the Sound Blaster Audigy
| MB software, I wanted to let people know that we will use the blog
| to provide updates on all three.
|
| Regarding the Vista upgrade, Dell can help customers who have
| issues with:
|
|     * The Dell Vista Upgrade site not recognizing their service tag(s)
|     * Cerficate of Authenticity (COA) issues
|     * Credit Card/ Change of Address issues
`----

http://direct2dell.com/one2one/archive/2007/04/02/10222.aspx

Dell to Offer Ubuntu 7.04

,----[ Quote ]
| In this video, Canonical founder Mark Shuttleworth talks about why he
| started Ubuntu, Linux adoption rate trends, how previous barriers to
| Linux adoption for mainstream users are improving, and more.
`----

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RjZiw-2wEQE

Dell Backs Open-Source Operating System

,----[ Quote ]
| "Dell is one of Microsoft's most valued partners. At the same time, Dell
| is a multi-platform company that offers a variety of PC solutions to
| meet customer needs," Hauser said in an e-mail to City on a Hill
| Press. "We don't anticipate their relationship to affect sales of
| Microsoft Vista. Windows Vista is safer, easier to use, more
| entertaining and better connected at home, at work and on the go
| than any operating system we?ve ever released."
|
| [...]
|
| Despite Microsoft's statements, Gunn insists that Microsoft is not
| happy.
|
| "I think it is evolutionary; it is common sense; and it is the
| future," Gunn said. ?It gives the user the ultimate option of
| which solution they want. It puts the user in the driver's seat."
`----

http://www.cityonahillpress.com/article.php?id=650

Dude, I'm Getting a Dell...with Linux!

,----[ Quote ]
| Last night, my boyfriend and I customized a Dell Inspiron 530N desktop with
| Ubuntu version 7.04 pre-installed. You may be wondering, why convert to an
| open-source platform? We were tired of Microsoft's security issues. Plus,
| there are still many apps and hardware that aren't compatible with Vista yet,
| not to mention the cheapest Vista edition you can buy is $199.
`----

http://www.gearlog.com/2007/08/dude_im_getting_a_dellwith_lin.php

Dell users face heavy premium for Vista

,----[ Quote ]
| Dell’s customers are paying a heavy premium for personal computers running
| Microsoft’s Vista, according to data compiled by ComputerWorld UK's sister
| site Techworld.
`----

http://www.computerworlduk.com/technology/operating-systems/windows/news/index.cfm?newsid=4554

Dell's Ubuntu Laptops