[News] Yahoo Could Head for the Clouds (Linux-based Cloud Computing)

Does Yahoo reorg signal cloud computing move?

,----[ Quote ]
| Announcement of a cloud computing and data infrastructure group has some
| wondering if Yahoo plans to enter the market for hosted IT services like
| Google and Amazon
`----

http://www.infoworld.com/article/08/06/27/Does_Yahoo_reorg_signal_cloud_computing_move_1.html

Interesting new notes on BigTable lock-in:

Escaping From Locked-In Clouds

,----[ Quote ]
| "If you're using BigTable, to get the benefit of scale, you can't leave,"
| countered Jason Hoffman, the founder and CTO of on-demand application
| provider Joyent. "The truth is, until you open-source BigTable, it is
| lock-in."
|
| [...]
|
| This dilemma explodes the oft-used analogy to the electrical power grid
| (cited by Nicholas Carr, author of the recent book on cloud computing, The
| Big Switch (W.W. Norton; 2008), in his videotaped opening remarks today): you
| can't just plug into a server cloud via an outlet in the wall, because no
| standards yet exist for Web-based IT infrastructure. If you choose to use
| EC2, so that you can scale infinitely and pay only for the computing and
| storage power you actually use, you are in some ways stuck because Amazon's
| APIs work differently than others. Moving to another cloud creates issues of
| interoperability and access because most have proprietary APIs.
`----

http://www.informationweek.com/blog/main/archives/2008/06/escaping_from_l.html?cid=RSSfeed_IWK_ALL
http://tinyurl.com/6rdtrm

Blogging at LegalTech: West Coast Style

,----[ Quote ]
| Second, noting the convention center's proximity to south central L.A., James
| quoted Rodney King: "Why can't we all get along?" Interoperability continues
| to be a major issue. New systems are built on proprietary standards,
| increasing the cost of installation, while an older but effective system
| loses support when its maker merges with another vendor and decides to let
| that product fade into history.
`----

http://www.law.com/jsp/legaltechnology/pubArticleLT.jsp?id=1202422590128

Recent:

Hip-hip-Hadoop!

,----[ Quote ]
| Go[t] that? 10,000 core processors running GNU/Linux at the heart of Yahoo.
| Microsoft is damned if they do (rip and replace) and damned if they don't. Go
| on, make our day, Steve....
`----

http://opendotdotdot.blogspot.com/2008/02/hip-hip-hadoop.html

Related:

Top secret: Microsoft's $6 billion open source play

,----[ Quote ]
| This month's announcement by Microsoft to acquire digital marketing
| services firm aQuantive has revealed little on how the companies
| will integrate their IT, but inside information indicates the deal
| may be Redmond's largest commitment to free software.
|
| [...]
|
| Whether the businesses are complementary or not, Microsoft's integration
| work will no doubt involve a lot of open source software used by aQuantive.
|
| Information available from Atlas' Web site indicates the Internet software
| company employs extensive use of open source software including Linux,
| Apache, MySQL, and Solaris.
|
| Software engineers at Atlas' Raleigh office do client/server development in
| C and C++, software maintenance and "scripting", and developing and
| maintaining custom reporting capabilities.
`----

http://www.linuxworld.com.au/index.php/id;1616039231;fp;2;fpid;1

It's unofficial: Microsoft bets business on Linux

,----[ Quote ]

`----

http://www.linuxworld.com.au/index.php/id;754084996;fp;2;fpid;1