Re: [News] [Rival] Windows Vista Makes Low-cost Laptops Impractical (Linux Wins)

On Sat, 08 Mar 2008 10:18:37 +0000, Roy Schestowitz wrote:

> ____/ Stephan Rose on Saturday 08 March 2008 06:27 : \____

>>> So?
>>>
>>> What effect does this have on the Linux community?
>>>
>>> You have had your chance with Windows ME which was a disaster. Then you
>>> had Windows XP which didn't get updated for like 8 years or something?
>>> Now you have your chance with Windows Vista.
>>>
>>> See a pattern here?
>>>
>>> I doubt it.
>>>
>>> The truth is Linux, despite being free, is still well below 1.0 percent
>>> of the desktop market while OSX is climbing.
>>>
>>> Why is that?
>>>
>>> Why can't a free operating system gain market share?
>>
>> Because people in the Market do not install or buy operating systems.
>> They buy "a computer" and use whatever comes on it. Most people are
>> completely oblivious as to what the it is they are actually using. As
>> long as they can click a little pretty button and their pictures come up
>> or their music plays they are happy. They don't care about how or why
>> this happens nor would most ever be able to even comprehend.
>>
>> The people that actually install their own operating systems, be that
>> windows or linux, are a mere fraction and not nearly enough to tip any
>> scale in any direction on either end.
>>
>> The only way *any* operating system is ever going to displace windows any
>> significant amount is by massive pre-installed distribution through the
>> retail channels.
>
> The installbase of Linux is far greater than 1%.
> http://itmanagement.earthweb.com/osrc/article.php/3687616
>
> Microsoft keeps harping about the old FUD, selectively quoting figures from
> niche sites. Ballmer said last week that Linux is Microsoft's #1 threat.
>
> Trolls, response? #1 thread, no? Ask your boss, Ballmer.

Linux is Microsoft's ONLY threat....
So of course it's their #1 threat as well.

As for figures, I suppose the BBC which came up with 0.8 percent is a niche
site.

Face it Schestowitz, whenever you step outside your usual one way crap
flood, you get hammered.

Next....

--
Moshe Goldfarb