Re: [News] [Rival] Countries Complain About ECMA, Microsoft and the OOXML BRM

____/ Mark Kent on Tuesday 04 March 2008 13:42 : \____

>> ____/ Mark Kent on Tuesday 04 March 2008 09:35 : \____
>>
>>> Roy Schestowitz <newsgroups@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> espoused:

>>> I know that standardisation is a public service, but I think in a case
>>> like this, where a single company is quite clearly pushing their own
>>> agenda, knowingly against an existing standard which we've already paid
>>> for (ODF), then that company should have to pay for the work involved.
>>>
>>> Currently, we have delegates from companies and governments all over the
>>> world, the cost must be in the millions, with the singular purpose of
>>> pushing through a clearly immature specification into an environment
>>> where there is already a superior one.
>>>
>>> This is a abuse of the system, and a very expensive one.  It seems to be
>>> akin to the legal viewpoint around "contempt of court".  This appears to
>>> be "contempt of ISO" and should be handled in a similar way.
>>
>> Europe will probably have Microsoft fine for this, but it might take time
>> for ISO to recover (ECMA is already ruined). Bush, as usual, doesn't give a
>> damn... "is OXML like teh google on the internets?"
>>

> ISO really needs to reconsider its processes.  Equally, we really *must*
> only permit standards which are not patent encumbered;  the decision to
> move away from that, pushed by the US, was an awful one.

You ought to see the shots people take at ISO in FOSS or Linux forums at the
moment. What a joke it has become. ISO isn't quite what it used to be.
Microsoft dethroned or scared away the core people, just like it always does
(bullying, manipulation, intimidation). I can fetch you the links if you are
interested. it would make your blood boil.

Roy S. Schestowitz      | Useless fact: Brazil spans 47.8% of S. America
Mem:    515500k total,   444520k used,    70980k free,     5676k buffers