Re: Microsoft's Scott Guthrie Lies About/Twists "Cross-platform" to Hijack Web

In comp.os.linux.advocacy, Miguel de Icaza
<miguel.de.icaza@xxxxxxxxx>
 wrote
on Mon, 3 Mar 2008 16:57:37 -0800 (PST)
<59c6aa6b-816c-41b2-8f24-fb423abfb83c@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>:

>> > Silverlight is a client side technology, so we are going to deliver
>> > the components to run content that was created on Silverlight on Linux
>> > using Moonlight.
>>
>> I'm still confused.  Silverlight cannot *create*.
>> Perhaps the Silverlight SDK can, but not Silverlight
>> proper.  It's a bit like using Adobe's Flash viewer to
>> create Flash content; can't be done (all AFAIK).
>
> Well, considering that Silverlight 1.0 is text + javascript, all you
> really need is vi or emacs to create the content;  Or if you like
> generating code on the flight to master the "print" statement in PHP.

Or Perl, or Ruby, or even C or Smalltalk, given that it's
basically a socket communications problem.

> For 1.1, you need a C# compiler, which you can download from our web
> site.

Already got one courtesy of Mono. ;-) Or maybe Microsoft, I'm not
sure which.

>> [1] The provider provides content; Silverlight merely
>> views it (in a manner more efficient than Flash or native
>> browser plugins).  Presumably, the provider in this case
>> is hewing to standards.
>
> Here is a provider written in Linux, using Perl:
>
> print "<Canvas><Line X1='0' Y1='0' X2='100' Y2='100' Stroke="Red"/></
> Canvas>";

An interesting notion, but that has to be hooked
up right.  Apparently, the HTML has to load the
Javascript which creates the object, according to
Microsoft's example webpage.  Also, the XAML has to have
application/xaml+xml or some such).

Then again, I have neither Moonlight nor Silverlight on
this particular laptop.  I'm tempted to fire up XP and
launch the Silverlight client code, but why bother? :-)

> Put that as the mime type handler for application/x-silverlight, you
> have your first Silverlight app generated on Linux.

Oh.  That would need to be the Content-Type: then.

>> Is there going to be a Moonlight SDK for developing
>> Moonlight and/or Silverlight content?  I for one hope so.
>
> For 1.0 you dont need a thing;   For 1.1/2.0 you need a .NET compiler,
> we provide two: C# and VB, and lots of other people provide commercial
> and open source compilers.

Cute.  Wonder why the change?

Hmmmm.........

>> I would have a request in this area: make it easy for
>> Gentoo to generate a build.  Yeah, yeah, I know; I just
>> happen to like Gentoo. ;-)
>
> We would be happy to answer questions from any Gentoo folks on how to
> do the builds.   All of our build scripts are public (module release
> in Mono's SVN).

I'll point you at www.gentoo.org for now.  Ebuilds are
documented in there somewhere. ;-)

They're not that difficult (and there are thousands of
examples if one wants to grab a portage tree).  Of course
getting the dependencies right might be a bit tricky.

#191, ewill3@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
Q: "Why is my computer doing that?"
A: "Don't do that and you'll be fine."