Re: [News] [Rival] Microsoft Spins OOXML Defeat, OOXML Broken Beyond Repair by BRM

____/ Mark Kent on Monday 03 March 2008 11:25 : \____

http://opendotdotdot.blogspot.com/2008/03/microsofts-new-meme-marketplace.html

>>> No doubt that Microsoft had the spin ready for no matter what the
>>> outcome was.  This world of spin is deeply tedious.
>>>

>> On a related topic, I was in a country park visitor centre on the edge
>> of Birmingham last Friday and picked up a leaflet issued by Birmingham
>> Council, actively promoting Open Office! Apparently OO is used on all
>> Birmingham public-access machines (ie in libraries etc) on which users
>> are encouraged to d/l Open Office!
>
> Wow, so they've started to get it right there after all?  I recall that
> they had a go, but it went rather badly awry in the past.  Perhaps Roy
> still has an article or two on this?

There were recent reports. Yes, Birmingham is also quite excited about all
those Linux laptops.

OO.org is being downloaded at least a million times a week (and rising I
suppose). Not too shabby. It supports ODF and 2.4 (never mind 3.0) will have
some OpenGL-accelerated goodness. Office 2007 on the other hand has crashes as
a /feature/ (I kid you not, that's what Microsoft says).

Roy S. Schestowitz      |    "Avoid missing ball for higher score"