Re: Can Neelie Kroes open an investigation against ECMA?

____/ Mark Kent on Monday 03 March 2008 15:38 : \____

http://www.theage.com.au/news/biztech/eu-splaps-microsoft-with-record-fine/2008/02/28/1203788515262.html

>>> [quote]
>>> EU splaps Microsoft with record fine
>>>
>>> February 28, 2008 - 3:18PM
>>>
>>> Microsoft must pay the European Union a record euro899 million
>>> (US$1.3 billion) fine for charging rivals too much for software
>>> information, the EU said today, drawing a line under one part of
>>> a long-running antitrust battle.
>>>
>>> EU Competition Commissioner Neelie Kroes said Microsoft now
>>> appears to have finally complied with a 2004 EU antitrust order.
>>>
>>> But she warned that the company was not yet in the clear because
>>> the EU last month launched new probes into Office software and
>>> Windows' Internet browser.
>>> [/quote]
>>
>> It's only the beginning. Microsoft has just been downgraded and the stock
>> fell, partly (if not mainly, I'd have to check) because of this pattern of
>> fining by the EU for abuses. OOXML (relating to the OP) is part of an
>> ongoing and unfinished investigation. It is only one among 3 and hopefully
>> there will be a fourth one that looks at bullying oh Yahoo!.
>>
>> "If you flee the rules, you will be caught. And it will cost you dearly,"
>>
>> -- Neelie Kroes (about Microsoft), February 27th, 2008
>>

> Microsoft's share-price has more or less arrived at where it was a year
> ago, although it's still up on the previous year.  It does appear to
> have stabilised at this US$27 point, but if the present trend continues,
> it could well be back at its pre-1998 value before long.  Time will
> tell.

That's after up to $32,000,000,000 in buybacks.

New summary here:
http://opendotdotdot.blogspot.com/2008/03/microsofts-finances.html

Even Glyn Moody (a journalist) has cited it.

Roy S. Schestowitz      | Real E-mail -> Harvest -> Fraud -> Spammers profit
Mem:    515500k total,   437000k used,    78500k free,     1468k buffers