Re: [News] Apple Eats Crow (Software Patent Poison)

____/ Jerry McBride on Saturday 01 March 2008 21:51 : \____

> Roy Schestowitz wrote:
>
>> Apple sued over iPhone caller ID
>>
>> ,----[ Quote ]
>> | Figa's patent, describes an "an automatic incoming telephone call number
>> | display system for detecting an incoming call and identifying the party
>> | associated with the incoming call number".
>> |
>> | Like the iPhone, the system "includes a directory of telephone numbers
>> | and parties associated with those numbers," and it's equipped with
>> | "circuitry detects the origin telephone number of an incoming telephone
>> | call and compares that number with numbers in the directory for
>> | identifying the calling party."
>> `----
>>
>> http://www.theregister.co.uk/2008/03/01/apple_sued_over_iphone_callerid/
>>
>> Apple should really stop filing patents and start fighting against them.
>>

> Back in the late 80's I worked with a sale company and setup a software
> suite that would record/detect incoming phone calls and link them to a
> database. If there was a match, the customers account was displayed to a
> console, enabling the answering sales person to have complete and immediate
> access to the clients purchasing records... It boosted sales through the
> roof, as anyone (talented enough) could pick up the phone and sound like an
> expert in the areas that the customer was interested in...
>
> I did this magic with a service the phone company called CALLER ID... How
> the hell can Apple patent something that hangs off of that??? It's been
> around for ages...

Apple will probably call it defencive, but that's how it all begins before
patents get sold to trolls or used as a last act of desperation when the
company collapse. Red Hat can be accused also, but to a lesser extent.

Roy S. Schestowitz      | LINUX - (L)ove (I)s (N)ever (U)tterly eXPensive
Tasks: 134 total,   1 running, 133 sleeping,   0 stopped,   0 zombie