[News] India's Belief in FOSS and GNU/Linux as the Future

  • Subject: [News] India's Belief in FOSS and GNU/Linux as the Future
  • From: Roy Schestowitz <newsgroups@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sat, 01 Mar 2008 17:55:42 +0000
  • Newsgroups: comp.os.linux.advocacy
‘Future is open source technology’

,----[ Quote ]
| Delivering the inaugural address at an exposition-cum conference on ‘Open
| Source Madurai ’08’ organised by the Confederation of Indian Industry (CII),
| Madurai Zone here on Friday, he said: ‘I am confident about the technology’
| and ELCOT has gone past several steps in the direction with Linux
| compatibility in its activities and programmes. Under Tamil Nadu State Wide
| Area Network (TNSWAN), ELCOT has successfully provided connectivity through
| Linux compliance to 30 district collectorates in the State.
`----

http://sify.com/finance/fullstory.php?id=14613303

Also, on savings:

Ration cards distribution to begin in three days

,----[ Quote ]
| The "open source" would save the government 50 per cent of expenditure on
| purchase of licence for using software. It would also prevent the government
| being too much dependent on one source. He also suggested that the engineers
| of the state should go for more research so that software could be produced
| here itself.
`----

http://www.chennaionline.com/colnews/newsitem.asp?NEWSID=%7B5E38432F-DC38-49C7-AE41-1093221460E9%7D&CATEGORYNAME=CHN

Related:

India Knowledge@Wharton | Operating in an open system

,----[ Quote ]
| Venkatesh Hariharan, co-founder of the Open Source Foundation of India,
| mentions the Maharashtra e-governance projects, where the preferred option
| was the open-source Linux operating system.
`----

http://www.livemint.com/2008/02/03235913/India-KnowledgeWharton----Op.html

Beyond subscriptions: Red Hat looks to services

,----[ Quote ]
| A lot of SMB members are looking to go for Linux and we provide them with a
| full roadmap for the same specific to each customer’s needs.
`----

http://www.expresscomputeronline.com/20070820/market06.shtml

Red Hat in talks with states for open source solution

,----[ Quote ]
| The open source software business is gaining momentum in the country with
| governments keen on adopting this technology.
`----

http://economictimes.indiatimes.com/Red_Hat_in_talks_with_states_for_open_source_solution/rssarticleshow/2283777.cms

New Linux version supports 10 Indian languages

,----[ Quote ]
| Mr Nandu Pradhan, Red Hat India's President and Managing Director,
| explained that Release 5 had doubled the Indian language support to
| 10 languages - a case of fortuitous timing in the light of the
| government's budget-day announcement of sharply increasing monetary
| support for e-governance initiatives at the Centre and the States.
`----

http://www.thehindubusinessline.com/2007/03/16/stories/2007031603980400.htm

Red Hat Organises Red Hat Developer Day

,----[ Quote ]
| Red Hat, Inc. organised the first Red Hat Developer Day in
| India in Bangalore on 18 October 2006. The one-day Red Hat
| event brought together Linux developers and users to
| facilitate the growth of open source technologies,
| development, techniques, tools and standards through the
| sharing of technical knowledge and expertise.
`----

http://www.efytimes.com/efytimes/fullnews.asp?edid=14947&magid=11

Red Hat and Satyam partner to deliver open source solutions

,----[ Quote ]
| He feels that such strategic tie ups a clear indication that
| companies have now started to see a great demand and value int
| he open source business model, unlike the past.
`----

http://www.siliconindia.com/shownews/34151

IIT Delhi and Red Hat India hold Knowledge Symposium

,----[ Quote ]
| "Software patents hurt the Indian software industry, and could have
| a negative, crippling effect on the open source model. Governments in
| the United States and elsewhere are adopting Linux and striking down
| software patent legislation. Call it economic efficiency or a
| futuristic approach, we believe that all roads lead to open source."
`----

http://www.zdnetindia.com/news/business/stories/155330.html

ELCOT's success story of Suse linux migration

,----[ Quote ]
| Electronic Corporation of TamilNadu, India is the Information Technology
| arm of Government of TamilNadu, India. ELCOT is a fully owned Government
| Company. ELCOT migrated all its operations to suse linux OS within a
| period of 12 months. This video shares the success story of ELCOT in
| the suse linux migration (June 2007)
`----

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3_g72GcaIdc

PC resellers strike against Microsoft in India

,----[ Quote ]
| Stop harassment over piracy or we move to Linux...
|
| [...]
|
| "We have been approached by dealers in other states who are also
| being harassed by Microsoft," Randeri said. "If Microsoft does
| not cooperate, we will tell our dealers to migrate to Linux."
`----

http://www.computerworlduk.com/management/it-business/supplier-relations/news/index.cfm?newsid=3114

Laptop training for T. Nadu IAS officers

,----[ Quote ]
| They were given orientation in Suse Linux and Windows XP operating
| systems, since the laptop computers were loaded with them and Suse
| Linum operating system was a new technology, an official press
| release here said.
`----

http://www.hindu.com/thehindu/holnus/004200707052027.htm

Indian dealers are squealers over Microsoft piracy raids

,----[ Quote ]
| The resellers have also planned boycotts against Microsoft.
| Those participating in the strike agreed to stop all purchases
| of Microsoft products for this quarter.
`----

http://www.channelregister.co.uk/2007/05/18/indian_tech_vendors_protest_microsoft/

Intensified Battle Lines

,----[ Quote ]
| Some years back Open Source Industry Australia (OSIA) spokesperson
| Steven D'Aprano had posed a most intriguing question, "If Microsoft
| has a problem with piracy, it shouldn't be blamed on OEMs who sell
| PCs with Linux pre-installed or no operating system at all. Should
| we discourage supermarkets from selling plain bread, because
| shoppers might steal butter from elsewhere?"
|
| [...]
|
| For long now a tag has been associated with Linux. Industry players
| and resellers say Linux has become a smart, official, cheap and
| convenient form of piracy. The charge, is however, outrightly
| rejected by the Linux vendors.
|
| At their end, open source vendors will not miss an opportunity to
| assert that anyone who has benefited out of piracy is the
| proprietary vendors, like Microsoft.
|
| [...]
|
| Partners are already moving close to Linux vendors for various
| reasons. The days to come will, therefore, offer interesting
| battle lines unfolding between MS and open source players.
`----

http://www.channeltimes.com/India/Columns/Intensified_Battle_Lines/551-80562-751.html
http://tinyurl.com/37n6do

I use GNU/Linux... and I am HAPPY with it!

,----[ Quote ]
| Two-three months back, there was a news in rediff.com which said that
| the biggest girls school in Kerala has changed the policy and they
| use GNU/Linux for teaching. Those small girls learning computer,
| learn GNU/Linux only and they find it very easy. As they have
| never used MS Windows, they are unbiased.
`----

http://cleverviv.wordpress.com/2007/03/02/i-use-gunlinux/

India can live without Microsoft

,----[ Quote ]