Re: [News] A Look at GTK+ 3.0, Novell Unleashes Poison Factory

____/ [H]omer on Thursday 13 March 2008 20:51 : \____

> Linonut wrote:
>> * [H]omer peremptorily fired off this memo:
>
>>> one way or another I'm dumping Gnome this year anyway, for
>>> political reasons.
>>
>> All Gnome apps, or just the desktop? <grin>
>
> Everything, as far as is possible. Indeed I'm committed to this to the
> extent that I'm even prepared to learn Qt and rewrite the entire Red Hat
> system configuration toolset (the so-called "helpers") in Qt, just to
> avoid anything to do with Gnome. Hopefully much of that work has already
> been done by others.
>
>> I'm still enamored of fluxbox, and not ready to load the extra eye
>> candy.
>
> Other than Web, Email and games, I rarely use gooeys, but I do tend to
> use Flux over VNC for launching the aforementioned helpers for certain
> tasks. Actually, now that I think about it, I could probably just use
> GNU screen over ssh, and forget about VNC.

GTK is OK. Don't cut off the arm because of a bad finger. GNOME was built by
many people, not just one person. It's still possible to mend GNOME by
informing some developers of the implications of Mono (just intelligence on
Microsoft mainly). In fact, some leaders of GNOME read my site and already
give Miguel a lot of flak. GNOME is still not inherently /dependent/ on Mono,
so it can be stopped before getting there.

Roy S. Schestowitz      |    "Life is too short to proofread"
Cpu(s): 25.7%us,  4.0%sy,  1.0%ni, 64.6%id,  4.3%wa,  0.3%hi,  0.1%si,  0.0%st