Re: [News] Microsoft Betrays Another Partner (Phoenix Technologies), Which Embraces Linux

> ____/ Mark Kent on Wednesday 12 March 2008 07:20 : \____
>
>> [H]omer <spam@xxxxxxx> espoused:

>>> I was more interested in the fact that Microsoft seems to be slowly
>>> becoming a wholly owned subsidiary of the country of India. Should we
>>> expect see to the Vole's minions begging for alms on the streets of
>>> Calcutta, whilst a turban-clad Sweaty takes his grease-gun up the Khyber
>>> Pass, and Pearly plays with his snake?
>>>

>> India is vast, with a vast population, like China.  I think we can
>> expect to see both India and China becoming far more globally
>> influential in short order.
>
> To be honest with you, I think it's only fair. There is nothing ethical about
> imperialism.

No, although it's been a feature of our history for as far back as records
exist.  A more enlightened approach would be nice, but the experiments so
far have shown that liberal democracy coupled with free-market capitalism
(as far as each are possible) offers a reasonable compromise.

It also depends on having an educated population.

> Remember what the Bush skeptics say about the "small terrorists" and the "big
> terrorists", who cannot identity themselves and scrutinise self misdeeds. It's
> that same as the story about the 'pirate' in the dingy and the big colossal
> boat filled with rich people... it all comes back to hypocrisy and
> selfishness. But again, I'm drifting to off topic..

When wealth becomes held in too few hands, the bloodshed seems to ensue.
It's a tricky thing, to allow people to benefit commensurately with
their skills and contribution, whilst not allowing those benefits to
become so unbalanced that the non-beneficiairies decide to do a little
"Robin Hood" work of their own.