Re: [News] British MP Slams BSI for "I Sell Out" (ISO) to Microsoft

> John Pugh, MP, Rides to the Rescue
>
> ,----[ Quote ]
>| Dear Mr Low,
>|
>| I am deeply concerned that some national bodies have considered approving
>| DIS29500 "in their national interest".
>|
>| It is not in the interest of the UK or any other country for DIS 29500 to be
>| published as an international standard in its present form as there are a
>| significant number of unresolved issues, including incompatible licensing
>| conditions, single vendor interest and control as well as those other
>| factors uncovered since the original comment period closed. There is also the
>| issue that is no current form of DIS 29500, as yet another exception to the
>| process was made regarding the presentation of the proposed changes.
>|
>| Issues raised by the BSI and others during the original 30 day objections
>| phase have also never been properly addressed, not least of which is the
>| unsuitability of such a large and complex specification of an unproven format
>| to the fast track process.
>|
>| Such a standard, if approved, would govern the manipulation of all future
>| documents and lock users into a single supplier environment. The OOXML
>| specification contains significant Intellectual Property Rights and other
>| traps which will:
>|
>| - Stifle competition
>|
>| - Diminish innovation overall
>|
>| - Severely restrict consumer choice
>|
>| - Block Government choice
>|
>| - Limit the ability of UK SMEs to innovate and compete
> `----
>
> http://www.computerworlduk.com/community/blogs/index.cfm?entryid=654

Well done Dr Pugh MP.  Hmm, if this continues, I might just consider voting
for the Lib Dems next time, they seem to be the only party willing to
take on the corruption of HMG and its agencies.

The corruption of BSI was particularly nasty.

--
| mark at ellandroad dot demon dot co dot uk                           |
| Open platforms prevent vendor lock-in.  Own your Own services!       |