Re: [News] [SOT] Lessig Calls for Government Not to Be Run by Corporations, Shareholders

Craig Gullixson <craig@xxxxxxx> espoused:
> In article <jthub5-hgh.ln1@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>,
> 	Mark Kent <mark.kent@xxxxxxxxxxx> writes:
>> Craig Gullixson <craig@xxxxxxx> espoused:

>>> I am not completely unfamiliar with standards.  While standards
>>> documents tend to be long, and often contain code snippets as examples,
>>> they do tell you what you need to do to implement the standard.  For
>>> example, after a quick look at the ODF standard, I'm fairly confident
>>> that I could build my own ODF document creator tool if I wanted (and
>>> had the time) to do so.  I don't have to reverse engineer code, not
>>> necessarily written in a language that I'm completely familiar with.
>>>

>> ODF is extremely unusual, in that it was created on the back of an
>> open-source implementation, which is why it is implementable.  If you
>> really get into trouble, you can just go and look at the source-code.

>>> Between the time when the reference implementation is released and the
>>> time a bug or logic error is discovered, people have been using the
>>> reference implemtation as a bible in your scenario.  One can try to
>>> propogate fixes throughout ciberspace, but effectively, the bug or
>>> logic error is now a part of the standard (much as the leap year bug
>>> Microsoft Excel).
>>
>> As opposed to the standards route, where changes to the standards can
>> take 5 or more years to achieve.  You don't seem to know much about this
>> process.
>>
>> Microsoft Excel is not a standard, nor is it open-source, and is
>> therefore not relevant to this discussion.
>>
>> The effectiveness of rapidly fixing code is demonstrated ably by the
>> open-source world.  There are numerous linux kernel versions out there,
>> but interoperability between linux-based systems is rarely any kind of
>> problem.
>>
>> Using the source as the standard, as Linux does, if far more effective
>> than the legacy standards-writing processes which abound, and are
>> presently sinking in a quagmire of corruption and incompetence.

>>> Lock-in due to standards abuse, usally in the form of additional
>>> "features", only happens if you fall for their tricks.
>>
>> You?  Who is you?
>>
>> Lock-in due to standards abuse is and has been the mode of operation of
>> most vendors for many years, and continues to be.  OOXML is a fantastic
>> example of this kind of corruption.
>>

> Thank you so much for editing my response to your posting to fit
> into your arguments.

I did *not* edit your post, that is an out and out lie.  I've snipped
bits, but I did *not* edit what you said.  I responded to the parts I
felt you'd made the points you were trying to make.  There's no need to
paddy.

>I would generally only expect such an honor
> from a microsoft supporter in this group.  Thank you for the vaguely
> creepy feeling of Hadron supporting some of my statments.

Your position is, at best, highly naive, so I would expect to see you
get strong support from the MS Shilcosystem for much of what you're
saying, as it certainly fits well into the MS view of the future.

> And please
> forgive me for trying to have a real discussion

You'd be one of those people who regards a "real discussion" as one
where everyone agrees with you?  And you paddy when they don't... (I
snipped your abuse).

Welcome to the real world.

<snip uncalled-for abuse>

My feeling is that you're simply unable to prove your assertions to be
correct, or prove mine to be incorrect, so you're stomping off...

--
| mark at ellandroad dot demon dot co dot uk                           |
| Open platforms prevent vendor lock-in.  Own your Own services!       |