[News] [Rival] Microsoft Accused of Harming the Environment

  • Subject: [News] [Rival] Microsoft Accused of Harming the Environment
  • From: Roy Schestowitz <newsgroups@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 27 Mar 2008 02:12:14 +0000
  • Newsgroups: comp.os.linux.advocacy
Microsoft nears bottom of Greenpeace league table

,----[ Quote ]
| Environmental campaign organisation Greenpeace has published its latest study
| of the green credentials of electronics manufacturers, including makers of
| PCs and mobile phones, as well as Microsoft, which came near the bottom of
| Greenpeace's latest Guide to Greener Electronics.
`----

http://news.zdnet.co.uk/hardware/0,1000000091,39369882,00.htm

Days ago:

Scolded, Microsoft Takes Blame For Swarms of Butterfly Decals

,----[ Quote ]
| The corporation accepted the blame yesterday for hundreds of plastic
| butterfly decals that were affixed across the face of Midtown Manhattan as
| part of a $300 million promotional campaign for its new MSN 8 Internet
| service.
`----

http://query.nytimes.com/gst/fullpage.html?res=9802E6DD1E3CF935A15753C1A9649C8B63&scp=2&sq=dunlap+microsoft&st=nyt

Related:

The Buzz Word Today Is Green

,----[ Quote ]
| With the global crusaders on the march, with every politician spewing
| factoids about his or her campaign saving the Earth with new environmental
| measures, with hybrid cars being constructed in droves, with new energy
| saving light bulbs all the rage, isn't it time to look at the greener
| alternative in the PC World? I'm talking about the Linux computer, and it's
| becoming clear that it's the green monster.
`----

http://linuxhow2.com/Feature_Articles/The_Buzz_Word_Today_Is_Green.html

U.S. to require agencies to buy 'green' PCs, monitors

,----[ Quote ]
| Because the government is such a large user, PC vendors will be hustling to
| comply with the new federal rule, McCarthy said.
`----

http://www.computerworld.com/action/article.do?command=viewArticleBasic&taxonomyName=servers_and_data_center&articleId=9055558&taxonomyId=154&intsrc=kc_top

True or False: E-Waste

,----[ Quote ]
| True or False: Switching from a Windows-operated computer to a Linux-operated
| one could slash computer-generated e-waste levels by 50%.
|
| The answer is: TRUE
`----

http://www.cnn.com/2007/WORLD/asiapcf/12/03/eco.myth.ewaste/

Vista stumbles through first birthday

,----[ Quote ]
| Performance has also been a factor, with Vista branded by some industry
| researchers as the most processor-hungry operating system to ever come out of
| Redmond — something that jars with the current industry drive towards energy
| efficiency and green IT.
`----

http://www.zdnet.com.au/news/software/soa/Vista-stumbles-through-first-birthday-/0,130061733,339284236,00.htm

Open Source Software, OLPC, and the Importance of Being Green

,----[ Quote ]
| I'm referring to the need for the OLPC XO laptop to be extremely efficient in
| its power consumption. The OLPC laptop is designed to be used in places where
| there is no reliable power grid, or, in many cases, no power grid at all.
| This has challenged the OLPC Project is be very creative in how power is
| generated, stored and conserved.
`----

http://jmbuser.livejournal.com/6764.html

Linux, Windows duke it out over energy efficiency

,----[ Quote ]
| Linux appears to have an advantage at the moment: Companies are becoming
| increasingly open to adopting the platform both in the server room and on the
| desktop. Big-name vendors like IBM, HP, and Novell are giving the penguin a
| push in the datacenter, framing it as a flexible and energy-efficient
| platform. The fact that Linux offers greater virtualization opportunities
| than Windows (a sentiment recently expressed by the VMWare CTO Mendel
| Rosenblum) only strengthens the platform's green standing.
`----

http://weblog.infoworld.com/sustainableit/archives/2007/08/linux_and_windo.html?source=rss

GNU/Linux is the most power-efficient OS on Intel hardware

,----[ Quote ]
| According to a keynote given at OSCON, Intel's PowerTOP application has
| allowed developers to get a close-up view of what is sucking power in a
| GNU/Linux system. Apparently they've gotten so much feedback and patches that
| they've been able to extend battery life by an hour since the first release,
| making GNU/Linux the best OS for power saving.
`----

http://digg.com/linux_unix/GNU_Linux_is_the_most_power_efficient_OS_on_Intel_hardware

Report: Linux, open source greener than Windows

,----[ Quote ]
| A new report from the U.K. Office of Government Commerce about Open
| Source Software Trials in Government, has found that servers running
| Linux could combat the rising problem of e-waste because they last
| up to twice as long as machines running Windows.
`----

http://searchopensource.techtarget.com/originalContent/0,289142,sid39_gci1246762,00.html?track=sy184
http://tinyurl.com/38cge3

UK Greens connect to free software

,----[ Quote ]
| Still, he concludes that "awareness within the party is definitely
| building. I've even had people email me asking how to start
| migrating to Linux."
|
| Outside the party, Chance mentions that he is "constantly
| surprised by how many people outside the IT world have heard
| of Linux, and understand that Firefox is more than
| just another browser."
`----

http://www.linux.com/feature/117245

Member of Parliament Patrick Harvie Talks to KDE

,----[ Quote ]
| In answering a question about how we can use the political process more he
| describes how Microsoft had a government conference in the Scottish
| Parliament on the day of Windows Vista's launch. There Bill Gates could tell
| governments that Windows is the norm. He tried to organise a counter
| conference on the same day but there was no room. However such an event could
| be organised in parliament and he says MSPs and civil servants would turn up.
|
| Asked about use in education he said it was utterly wrong to teach children
| there is only one product in the market. However schools are very reluctant
| to even give use of a different browser. In education he thinks school
| children should have at least one experience of collaborating on free
| software.
`----

http://dot.kde.org/1184072113/

Vista gets slated - by the Greens

,----[ Quote ]
| The Green Party has slammed Microsoft and it's forthcoming operating
| system, Windows Vista, in a withering attack on the company's "monopoly".
|
| Microsoft not only takes criticism for allegedly environmentally
| unfriendly policies, but for attacking civil liberties.
|
| The party claims that "Vista gives Microsoft the ability to lock
| you out of your computer," and that "Microsoft are determined not
| to play fair" in the video content market.
`----

http://www.webuser.co.uk/news/news.php?id=107813

Green Party slams Microsoft OLPC involvement

,----[ Quote ]

`----

http://www.infomaticsonline.co.uk/vnunet/news/2170267/update-green-party-labels