[News] New Version of Mozilla-backed Miro, Why Firefox Beats Safari

  • Subject: [News] New Version of Mozilla-backed Miro, Why Firefox Beats Safari
  • From: Roy Schestowitz <newsgroups@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 24 Mar 2008 04:36:59 +0000
  • Newsgroups: comp.os.linux.advocacy
Announcing Miro 1.2 - A Major Update

,----[ Quote ]
| We’ve just released a major update to Miro, version 1.2.
`----

http://www.getmiro.com/blog/2008/03/announcing-miro-12-a-major-update/

Question to Dennis Howlett: Why are you so bloody stupid?

,----[ Quote ]
| Oh my goodness! Safari running on my Windows XP SP2 system, with six tabs,
| consumes almost 400MB. Firefox 2, while by no means svelte, consumes in the
| high 200s on this system, and that's with considerably more tabs open to the
| same sites. Why is this? Because I use three Firefox plug-ins to keep memory
| consumption down on my systems: Adblock Plus 0.7.5.3, Adblock Filterset.G
| Updater 0.3.1.3, and NoScript 1.5.2. These three plug-ins keep ads,
| especially Flash-based ads, off my web pages. Safari, with nothing like them,
| renders everything, and in the process sucks up even more memory than Firefox
| 2.
`----

http://blogbeebe.blogspot.com/2008/03/question-to-dennis-howlett-why-are-you.html

Internet Explorer is also a resource hog (see below). The blobs (IE and Safari)
just can't beat OSS.

Recent:

Mozilla: Firefox 3 beats IE7 and Opera in memory tests

,----[ Quote ]
| Work done to plug Firefox's memory leaks and reduce its RAM profile has paid
| off, two of Mozilla's engineers said Friday, as they claimed that the newest
| beta of their open-source browser uses less memory than rivals such as
| Internet Explorer and Opera.
`----

http://www.linuxworld.com.au/index.php?id=1368883081&rid=-50

Firefox 3 Memory Usage