Re: [News] More Microsoft Abuses, European Commission Receives Complaint Referral

In comp.os.linux.advocacy, amicus_curious
<ACDC@xxxxxxx>
 wrote
on Tue, 13 May 2008 16:39:16 -0400
<4829fc98$0$19374$ec3e2dad@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>:

> "The Ghost In The Machine" <ewill@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote in message
>>
>> Um....can't file EU complaints from the US, methinks.
>> ;-)  Of course we might petition the DoJ for redress,
>> if the matter isn't settled already (depending on what
>> the matter is for which one is filing).
>>
> Lessee here....  This guy was buying educational
> priced software in Egypt and exporting it back to
> the USofA,

Is this a personal purchase or did he buy thousands
of CALs (or the equivalent thereof)?

I could easily violate ITER/EAR with this laptop,
for example, were I to fly to Europe with it,
use it over there, come back with it.  (This is
presumably regardless of whether I actually upload
said software to a European server.)

> ignoring the contract terms that denied
> his right to re-export.

AFAIK, no one has a right to re-export.  Admittedly,
I'm not that familiar with either the US or the EU
tarrif and control system.

> He plans to file a complaint in Europe, where what
> he is doing is illegal, contending that Microsoft's
> objection to his deeds constitute restraint of trade.
> Well, it is against Microsoft, so that should cover
> the need for anything that resembles a case.

Not if the judge has half a clue.  More likely he'll
simply remand the case to an appropriate court -- probably
Egyptian.

#191, ewill3@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
Useless C++ Programming Idea #889123:
std::vector<...> v; for(int i = 0; i < v.size(); i++) v.erase(v.begin() + i);