[News] [Rival] Convicted Monopolist Approaches Free (Libre) Software Project for Lock-in

  • Subject: [News] [Rival] Convicted Monopolist Approaches Free (Libre) Software Project for Lock-in
  • From: Roy Schestowitz <newsgroups@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 12 May 2008 05:29:26 +0100
  • Newsgroups: comp.os.linux.advocacy

Microsoft emails Blender

,----[ Quote ]
| Microsoft has just approached the Blender guys, and I would assume have or
| will approach other FOSS projects since we learn that Microsoft has assigned
| a guy to work with Open Source projects, with a request for information on
| how to make Blender run better on Windows.
|
| [...]
|
| Get it? They view everything as a battle. "All Open Source innovation" means
| to him, I gather, that Windows runs the applications so well, the GNU/Linux
| operating system dies off. Who needs it? That's how they think, because they
| don't grasp any purpose to freedom for the code or for the end user. If you
| do, please watch out. The OOXML saga stands as a perfect example of how
| Microsoft plays to win, by hook or by crook. It is a "standard" that only
| Microsoft can fully use. That's not openness to me.

OOXML outreach to Blender

,----[ Quote ]
| The Image below was created a few years ago to raise awareness about the EU
| software patent laws sponsored by Microsoft that threatened open source
| projects such as Blender. Fortunately the software patent directive was
| rejected but the Microsoft continues to aggressively lobby governments abroad
| and apply for software patents in the European Union...
`----

http://www.noooxml.org/forum/t-58997/ooxml-outreach-to-blender

Related to this is the following article which shows how much like China
Microsoft is:

US warns China of 'technological isolation'

,----[ Quote ]
| The United States warned China Thursday that it risked "technological
| isolation" for developing unique technical standards of its own that also are
| shutting out foreign competition.
`----

http://news.smh.com.au/us-warns-china-of-technological-isolation/20080509-2ci1.html

Related:

Steve Ballmer live from D 2007

,----[ Quote ]
| Do you run into a dilemma with Windows Live services -- Silverlight...
| one of the points you mentioned, the second thing you mentioned was that
| it runs on Mac, runs on Linux. But if you're gonna do web-based it can't
| only work on Windows..
| ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
|
| Some things should only work on Windows, some things work
| cross-platform... we're gonna do different things in Windows than
| you can do in Linux and on the Mac. We need to be able to support
| both models of development.
`----

http://www.engadget.com/2007/05/30/steve-ballmer-live-from-d-2007/

3 Reasons Why The OLPC Project has Microsoft Running Scared

,----[ Quote ]

`----

http://www.dailytechnobabble.com/2007/05/30/3-reasons-why-the-olpc-project-has-microsoft-running-scared/