[Old] Microsoft's Attempt to Rewrite History, Forum Shills

Did Bill Gates Invent Linux and Has He Erased the Evidence?

,----[ Quote ]
| On October 1, 2004, at an appearance at the Computer History Museum in
| northern California, someone asked Bill Gates about a possible threat from
| Linux and Gates replied: "Microsoft has had competitors in the past. It's a
| good thing we have museums to document this stuff."
|
| But during the frantic days of the UNITED STATES OF AMERICA, Plaintiff, v.
| MICROSOFT CORPORATION, Defendant, Mr. Gate's employees at Microsoft
| corporation put together an argument for the court that made a tiny group of
| companies look like a threat - even a competitor.
|
| [...]
|
| Linux advocates believe Microsoft employees and contractors disrupt forums
| and discussion groups. They believe that Microsoft advocates use fictitious
| names to post unfavorable comments about Linux. They refer to people who may
| do that as "astroturfers".
|
| [...]
|
| Lord Acton, a British historian of the late nineteenth and early twentieth
| centuries made an observation that a person’s sense of morality lessens as
| his or her power increases. He's quoted as saying, "Power tends to corrupt;
| absolute power corrupts absolutely." Is that a true statement for all people
| or does it tend to generalize? I don't really know the answer. It somehow
| feels right.
|
| I have a lack of trust in our current Administration's ability to regulate
| Microsoft. In fact, I'm concerned that a lack of motivation and/or interest
| exists to protect us from Microsoft's monopolistic grip. I don't know from
| where the resources would come to investigate them in the civil sector.
| Microsoft just doesn't appear as a priority in the administration's agenda.
|
| I believe that the US has slipped technologically in the last five years as
| investment in start-ups has slowed and our technologist have migrated to
| other professions. I lay the blame on our government's inability to show the
| fortitude to stop monopolies from thwarting innovation. Hopefully this
| article will provide some incentive for someone to take a look at how one
| company could change the internal landscape of the Internet and distort
| history.

Microsoft has already done some job wiping evidence of OOXML crimes, so
everything is possible.

| "Ideally, use of the competing technology becomes associated with mental
| deficiency, as in, "he believes in Santa Claus, the Easter Bunny, and OS/2."
| Just keep rubbing it in, via the press, analysts, newsgroups, whatever. Make
| the complete failure of the competition's technology part of the mythology of
| the computer industry. We want to place selection pressure on those companies
| and individuals that show a genetic weakness for competitors' technologies,
| to make the industry increasingly resistant to such unhealthy strains, over
| time."
`----

                        --- Microsoft, internal document
                        http://www.groklaw.net/pdf/Comes-3096.pdf