[News] Humour About Linux Advocacy, 'Coverting' Freiends

Top 5 ways not to be a Linux evangelist

,----[ Quote ]
| As I ate dinner at a recent LUG meeting, I found myself pleasantly surrounded
| by a group of people with the same intense passion. We all shared a thorough
| love for the beneficial and effective Linux operating system.
|
| Number 1
|
| Do not sneak in to work early one morning, insert Linux live CDs into
| everyone’s desktop system, and hope that when they live boot they will be
| excited to see TUX. It is always a good idea to keep a few live-cds with you
| so that you can offer it to someone who may be interested. But “surprising”
| the office, including the senior VP, with the benefits of a KDE desktop is
| probably not going to help the cause. Although, from what I’ve heard, it can
| make your Monday morning at the office most interesting.
`----

http://www.reallylinux.com/docs/linuxevangelist.shtml

Domino effect/network effect:

It Takes a Convert to Make a Convert

| I think the main reason most of the people try Linux and go back to Windows
| is that they aren't determined to make the switch. If something is done
| differently on Linux, they quickly jump to a conclusion that goes like 'This
| is not right, on Windows this is done the other way around. It's no good.'
`----

http://vivapinkfloyd.blogspot.com/2008/05/it-takes-convert-to-make-convert.html

Recent:

How To Be a Linux/Free Open Source Advocate

,----[ Quote ]
| The problem is that the majority of people are used to using Microsoft
| Windows, to doing things a certain way, and Linux does similar things, only
| in slightly different ways.
|
| So, there's a learning process which must involve reading as much as
| possible.
`----

http://reddevil62-techhead.blogspot.com/2008/04/how-to-be-linuxopen-source-advocate.html

Related:

Linux Market to Triple by 2012

,----[ Quote ]
| Analyst firm Research and Markets has just put out a project on Linux-based
| server and client hardware sales, and is projecting that the market will more
| than triple between 2007 and 2012.
|
| A market for a platform is not the same as an ecosystem for it, which is much
| larger in that it includes the cost of people and third-party software and
| services for the code that runs atop the platform. So the R&M Linux market
| numbers might seem a little small. In any event, the consultancy pegged the
| Linux product and services market for Linux running on servers and clients
| (but not embedded systems) at $2.4 billion in 2007.
`----

http://www.itjungle.com/tlb/tlb031108-story07.html

2010: Russia's open software market to grow 4-fold

,----[ Quote ]
`----

http://eng.cnews.ru/news/top/indexEn.shtml?2007/05/15/249978