Re: OT: cost living in the land of the "free"

  this bit o' wisdom:

> ____/ Homer on Saturday 29 November 2008 04:24 : \____
>
>> Verily I say unto thee, that Phil Da Lick! spake thusly:
>>> How much does a beer cost over that side of the pond these days? Both
>>> in supermarkets and bars?
>>
>> It's probably kept dirt-cheap by the government, to pacify the sheep
>> into obedience.
>
> That would be cigarettes and junk food... to kill people before they are
> permitted to receive benefits (welfare/pension).

You guys laugh, but I read somewhere (probably in James Surowiecki's
"Financial Page" column in the New Yorker) that Americans have been treated
to continuing low prices to keep us as customers, so much do we buy foreign
goods.

--
Applause, n:
	The echo of a platitude from the mouth of a fool.