Re: [News] Intellectual Monopolies Kill Art, Give Welfare to Lazy Sons of Singers

  • Subject: Re: [News] Intellectual Monopolies Kill Art, Give Welfare to Lazy Sons of Singers
  • From: Andrew Halliwell <spike1@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 28 Nov 2008 11:18:32 +0000
  • Cancel-lock: sha1:Lmny7JhToYkVp+/Bs6ZIbT7i09I=
  • Newsgroups: comp.os.linux.advocacy

> Once More, With Feeling: Copyright Is Not A Welfare System For Musicians
>
> ,----[ Quote ]
> | Performance rights in the UK only last 50 years, so music performed in the
> | 60s has started to move into the public domain, and some musicians are
> | freaking out. They first tried to push for an extension using some famous
> | musicians, like Cliff Richards and Ringo Starr, but later realized that
> | people didn't have any sympathy for aging millionaire rockers, demanding more
> | money. So, after that proposal failed, they switched tactics, talking about
> | how poor studio musicians needed copyright extension as a form of welfare
> `----

We have something like that already...
It's called the old age pension.
Besides, "aging studio musicians" who aren't famous...
How much revenue is their 60 year old music going to generate?
50p a year?

--
|   spike1@xxxxxxxxxxxxx   |                                                 |
|   Andrew Halliwell BSc   | "The day Microsoft makes something that doesn't |