Re: LONG: The Windows Software Development Minefield, and Mono

After takin' a swig o' grog, Homer belched out
  this bit o' wisdom:

> http://www.mutantdesign.co.uk/downloads/ExpressEmails1.html

   "I would be happy to discuss your integration at the API level and help
   you understand what API's are licensed under which licenses."

> Weber repeatedly refers to Cansdale's work as a "hack", even though
> Cansdale proves conclusively that it only uses API's published by
> Microsoft, and available for free on their Website.
>
> This set me thinking about Mono, and how this Microsoft-encumbered
> Intellectual Monopoly was a specific threat to FOSS, not merely because
> of the /patents/ (RAND or otherwise), but primarily because of the
> /patentor/. If the Vole would pursue one of their own /MVPs/ so
> viciously and tenaciously, over nothing more than a damned /plugin/,
> what do you suppose they'll start doing once their "IP" has well and
> truly infested Free Software?

I think everyone here knows the answer.

> I wonder if the vole will be as "benevolent" to the Free Software
> community as they've apparently been to Dell and friends, if some patent
> troll sues a FOSS developer for patent "infringements" relating to .NET?
>
> But then, that's where Novell comes in, isn't it? It's only Novell
> customers who are "indemnified" against whatever threats they may
> encounter WRT Microsoft's alleged "IP".
>
> From that perspective alone, it's sheer insanity for any distro other
> than SUSE to ship Mono or any of it's related technologies and
> dependants, but there's still the question of the infamous "patentor"
> and it's motives.
>
> It's not exactly news, and it doesn't take a genius to work out what the
> Vole is up to, in fact it's transparently obvious. The plan goes
> something like this:
>
> 1. Find some Microsoft-friendly FOSS developers ...
> 2. Buy a commercial Linux vendor ...
> 3. Start infecting FOSS with Microsoft "IP", ...
> 4. Provide "indemnity" only for customers of that single (sellout) Linux...
> 5. Wait for the infection to spread...
>    and virtually unavoidable.
> 6. ... making a lot of noise about "undisclosed balance sheet liabilities"...
> 7. Keep the pressure on certain Linux vendors...
> 8. Light the patent-fuse; sit back and enjoy the show...

The sad thing is, the patent-fuse doesn't even require the first 7 steps, as
software is extraordinarily malleable and the ideas embodied in software
are easy to spread around the world.

> Now you know why de Icaza named it "Mono®".

<sick grin>

--
Mathematicians often resort to something called Hilbert space, which is
described as being n-dimensional.  Like modern sex, any number can play.