Re: [News] Dell Advertises GNU/Linux, Microsoft Gets Annoyed

On Tue, 18 Nov 2008 00:32:51 +0000, Roy Schestowitz wrote:

> Dell’s Linux Ads: Microsoft’s Nightmare Before Christmas?
>
> ,----[ Quote ]
> | For at least the third time in recent weeks, prominent Dell newspaper
> | advertisements feature the Inspiron Mini 9 Netbook running Canonical’s
> Ubuntu | 8.04 (that’s a small Linux notebook, folks). The VAR Guy hears
> Microsoft “has | gone postal” over the Linux notebook ads. You might
> even say this is | Microsoft’s nightmare before Christmas. Here’s the
> complete scoop. |
> | [...]
> |
> | At $349, Dell’s low-cost Ubuntu Linux system is “giving Microsoft
> fits,” | according to one source familiar with the Microsoft-Dell
> relationship. “It’s | one thing to have Dell ship Linux to consumers,”
> said the source. “It’s quite | another to have Dell advertising Linux to
> millions of consumers in a Sunday | newspaper heading into the holiday
> season.” `----
>
> http://www.thevarguy.com/2008/11/17/dell-continues-newspaper-ads-for-
ubuntu-linux-laptop/

The Linux version is $50 cheaper than the Windows version, and there is
*nothing* Microsoft can do about it, short of giving their OS away.

What's more, with the recession Dell need to sell to *survive*, and every
cent counts.

This means that Microsoft, itself under siege from every area has less
clout with Dell than ever before, when times were easy.

What would you rather have ?  XP home with bugger all for $399 or Linux
with lots of enterprise grade apps such as Open Office for $349 and save
$50 ?

indeed listen to.  Trolls are not among those people, as trolls, more or
          Kelsey Bjarnason, C.O.L.A. 2008