Helping our (now ex-) neighbours who had just moved house with some light
fixtures and suchlike, I wanted to look up the address of a local hardware
store on the Internet -- as their ADSL should work already, wireless and
So the lady of the house fired up her XP laptop and tried connecting. After
a few minutes, she had to call her husband about network settings and the
WPA key. And sure enough, after some clickety-click, she got to the online
I took over the keyboard, entered my search, and ... nothing. IE was
completely locked and frozen (sound familiar, DFS?), and the only resort
was killing it through the Task Manager. Yee-haw! A new record! Never
before have I managed to crash Windows or a Windows app so quickly!
Anyway, I tried again. And another lock-up. Killed it, tried another Web
page (the online phone book) -- lock-up once more. Another call to her
husband (a network application developer) didn't bring us much further --
apparently, the woman tried rebooting, uninstalling the network connection,
all network connections, reinstalling this or that, reconfiguring it --
whatever. After almost 45 minutes of wasting my precious time, I had
enough, and went to the gas station across the street to ask for
directions. Which I promptly got.
Windows is soooooo easy! Yeah, sure.
And oh, when I spoke to them a day later, they said it was all sorted
out -- "This morning it worked, all of a sudden, don't know what went
wrong. So everything is OK now."