Re: Microsoft Can't Make Money from Windows Anymore

____/ Chris Ahlstrom on Sunday 02 November 2008 15:23 : \____

http://news.cnet.com/The-XP-alternative-for-Vista-PCs/2100-1016_3-6209481.html

http://blogs.computerworld.com/ubuntus_shuttleworth_i_dont_think_anyone_can_make_money_from_the_linux_desktop

>    It's also worth noting that on the same day that Shuttleworth was saying
>    that the selling of "desktop bits" was no longer a successful business
>    model for Microsoft, Microsoft chief software architect Ray Ozzie was
>    announcing Azure a services-based cloud operating environment. Azure,
>    which will compete with Amazon's EC2 (Elastic Compute Cloud), won't be a
>    product, its resources will be sold as a service.
>
>    Funny that. It makes me think, yet again, that the smartest man in the
>    open-source business world might well be Shuttleworth.
>
> That's it.  Even Microsoft is recognizing that the desktop is becoming
> commodity software.

It can't keep up with Free software in this way. It needs income and Office is
under similar threat of margins going slim, primarily due to SaaS and F/OSS.

- --
                ~~ Best of wishes

Maths applied to numbers is like logic applied to statistics. Statistics are
lies.