Re: [News] New Sound Server for Linux, Linux Remote Control

____/ Chris Ahlstrom on Friday 31 October 2008 14:46 : \____

> After takin' a swig o' grog, Glenn Carlson belched out
>   this bit o' wisdom:

>>> Does this one actually work?
>>> Can Linux play two sounds at once yet?
>>
>> Why even bother?
>> Linux has absolutely no place in pro audio.
>> Those guys are too busy churning out editors and compilers to worry about
>> decent audio.
>> Last time I tried Linux, the left and right channels of my RME card were
>> reversed.
>> I wrote the developers and they asked me how I could tell and if I thought
>> anyone else would be able to notice.
>>
>> End of story for Linux and me........
>
> Interesting.  Both "Moshe" and "Glenn" use

> on motzarella.org.
>
> <sniff sniff>  I smell flatfish sock puppets.

One sentence per paragraph, no indentation, no line spacing. If it looks like a
(Flat)Fish...

Gary M. Stewart.

> I guess he never read this one:
>
>    http://m.linuxjournal.com/article/9892

Gary also dropped the references from the OP.

Why Vista sounds worse

,----[ Quote ]
| Changes to how the latest version of Windows handles audio playback has
| caused unexpected quality issues for musicians and consumers alike, reports
| Tim Anderson
`----

http://www.guardian.co.uk/technology/2008/jan/31/microsoft.technology

Audio in Linux is awesome

,----[ Quote ]
`----

http://darkness.codefu.org/wordpress/2007/12/15/292

>    Portable Hard Disk Recorder How-To
>
>    After plugging this interface in to my laptop and configuring it
>    properly, I have a multitrack hard disk recorder that can simultaneously
>    record 24 tracks at a maximum sample rate of 96KHz, well above the
>    maximum available sample rate on far more expensive commercial HDRs, with
>    more available input tracks.

Renoise For Linux

| On January 17 of this year the first beta release of Renoise 1.9.1 was
| announced. Along with new features and fixes for its Windows and OSX
| versions, this release includes the first version of Renoise for Linux. This
| is rather significant news: Renoise is a popular program, with an active
| community of developers and users in the Win/Mac music worlds, and a native
| Linux release has been a community priority. The wait is over, so let's see
| (and hear) what Renoise brings to the Linux audio software party.
`----

http://www.linuxjournal.com/content/renoise-linux

- --
                ~~ Best of wishes

Roy S. Schestowitz      | Linux: the most popular, but not most widespread
Tasks: 140 total,   1 running, 139 sleeping,   0 stopped,   0 zombie