Re: LAYOFFS at Microsoft

____/ Chris Ahlstrom on Friday 31 October 2008 14:04 : \____

http://www.techflash.com/microsoft/Microsofts_Razorfish_online_ad_agency_cuts_NY_staff33609649.html

>    Microsoft acquired Razorfish when it bought the agency's parent company,
>    aQuantive, for $6 billion, last year. The aQuantive purchase was part of
>    Microsoft's effort to catch up to Google in online ad technology. Google
>    at the time had just acquired another online ad company, DoubleClick.
>
>    There's been frequent speculation that Microsoft is looking to unload
>    Razorfish. The thinking goes that Microsoft was never very interested in
>    the ad agency, but wanted aQuantive for its major technology parts, the
>    online advertising platform Atlas and website ad network DRIVEpm.

"Oh noes! We're getting acquired by Selfish Beast."

FWIW, aQuantive uses FOSS and GNU/Linux. Everywhere Microsoft looks, successful
companies reject its technology. Microsoft just wants to buy some market share
though.

> Found this funny little (but old) item:
>
>    http://minimsft.blogspot.com/2004/09/microsoft-layoffs-hiring-and.html
>
>    If Microsoft won't spend $20 to restock the office supply room with
>    pencils, what makes you think that Microsoft will spend $600 to fly an
>    employee up to Redmond to interview them? The only way that you're going
>    to get moved is if you are extremely better than the people competing in
>    Redmond AND better than any potential recruits from outside. I've
>    actually been in interview loops where someone was selected...not because
>    they were the best, but because they would have to spend a massive amount
>    of money to relocate the best.

I think the same guy wrote (this month?) that sometimes Microsoft accepts new
recruits but puts their actual hiring on freeze. [based on memory, so it could
be inaccurate]

> On the other hand:
>
>    http://radio.weblogs.com/0001011/2004/09/23.html#a8291
>
>    Hint: there are lots of great programmers at Microsoft too. Come over to
>    the Tablet PC team. The Media Center team. Or visit Chris Pratley of the
>    OneNote team. Or step on over and meet the Visual Studio team. Heck, and
>    we won't even bring up the wild stuff that's going on in the research
>    department. Oh, and did you see that we hired the guy who invented the
>    Wiki? The guy who invented Tetris? Have you looked at the code on Xbox
>    Live? How can you say that great programmers aren't coming to work here?

Those people appear to be leaving, only to be replaced by cheaper labour.
Forget about soda and towels.

Roy S. Schestowitz      |    Reversi for free: http://othellomaster.com