Re: [News] GNU/Linux Has Wallpaper Power

On 2008-10-30, Ron House <rhouse@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> claimed:
> Roy Schestowitz wrote:
>
>> ,----[ Quote ]
>> | In Linux, setting an image as the desktop wallpaper is not a difficult task,
>> | but getting it to change automatically at a certain interval is. While there
>> | are plenty of wallpaper-changing apps available for Windows, there are only a
>> | limited few for Linux.
>
> What the...? I have standard KDE on long-in-the-tooth debian etch, and
> it changes my wallpaper at regular intervals - a different interval on
> each desktop and different photo collections per desktop too.

I did the same thing for a long time. Now I run xscreensaver on a black
background on the desktop for some animated effects. I could just as
well run superkaramba via a script so it could kill one set of widgets
and replace them with another random set at random intervals.

Both xscreensaver and superkaramba aren't limited to KDE as well.
Although superkaramba /does/ require a few of the KDE libraries to run
on another wm/desktop.

I used to run chbg on icewm, xstarfish on fluxbox and some other
program (I forget what it was now) whenever I ran the rare Gnome
session. I've played with another 3-5 different programs that I've used
for short stints on icewm, windowmaker or enlightenment over the last
10+ years, too.

A "limited few" wallpaper-changing apps on linux? Somebody needs to
take a couple of more seconds to look.

--
Bill Gates: "As long as they [China] are going to steal it, we want
them to steal ours. They'll get sort of addicted, and then we'll